Spat Inscision—normal?

rangershuman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten was spayed about 5 days ago. There is a bulge under the skin and I was told that this was perfectly normal. The incision, however, is worrying me. It’s a bit red and has yellow “crusties” around it. She seems 100% fine—-she very playful and affectionate, she’s eating and drinking fine, nothing from her behavior seems out of the ordinary. Does this seem like the normal healing process or should I be worried? EF1D61B6-0BF5-4364-973E-8322FE2A8AF4.jpeg C3D4DB88-0FB6-4132-84D1-001541CCBEB3.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take her in for a check by the vet. Some bulging under the skin are the incision is okay, it depends on how the body reacts to the internal sutures. However, that seems a little excessive from what I've seen before. The spreading of the incision is also worrisome. It could be nothing but with the two combined I'd feel better if a vet did an exam.

It is okay to see a different vet for a second opinion if your vet isn't listening to your concerns.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lump under the skin is totally normal. This looks to be a bit more. Also the incision does look irritated at least. I would take her back in and have them check it out.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other members.

Do you happen to have a photo of it from maybe the 1-3 day mark? Is this photo from yesterday? Did you possibly send these two photos to your vet via email, to get more input? A default position of most vets is to say, "Please bring her in, as we can best diagnose issues in person", but sometimes just with a visual alongside a phone call to them, you can discuss it a bit more.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take her in for a check. Yes some swelling is normal, but that looks like a lot more swelling than i would consider normal. The separation of the incision, and the drainage are also a problem. I think something is going on with her, so i would take her back in as soon as possible. Do keep us updated on her, i will worry.