Soup recipes: post em here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this up cuz I'm wondering if anyone has a simple but yummy cauliflower soup recipe????

ETA: made without cream (milk or water is good, just no cream please)

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

Cream of Cauliflower soup
Start to Finish:25 minutes
Servings: about 4 1/2 cups

1.5c chicken broth or vegetable stock
1tbl butter or margarine
1tbl all purpose flour
1/4tsp salt
dash of pepper
1c milk, half and half or light cream

they suggest using 1/2 tsp celery seeds for the seasoning but I HATE celery seeds, just bitter and gross, so I use lemon pepper which really makes the soup.

In a larg saucepan cook 4 cups fresh or frozen caulifloer florets in a large amount of boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until tender; drain.

Reserve 1c florets. Blend remaining cauliflower with 3/4c broth in a food processor/blender. Process about 1 minute or until smooth. Set aside

In the same saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, seasoning, salt and pepper. Add milk all at once (I add slowly so it doesnt clump). Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.

Stir in the reserved 1c cauliflower, blended cauliflower mixture, and remaining 3/4c broth. Cook and stir until heated through. If necessary stir in additional milk to reach desired consistancy. Season to taste.

I love this recipe, I usually double it because it's so good!

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are my favorite soups.. all of these recipes came from the internet, but I've changed the recipes a bit to suit how I like them:

Crawfish Chowder
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup chopped green onions
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1.5 pounds crawfish
* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups half-and-half cream
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute green onions in butter until tender. Remove from pan, and set aside. In the same skillet, melt 1/2 cup of butter, and saute the crawfish for 5 minutes; set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, combine potato soup, mushroom soup, corn, and cream cheese. Mix well, and bring to a slow boil. Stir in half-and-half, sauteed green onions, and crawfish. Season with cayenne pepper. Bring to a low boil, and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.

Cream of Crab Soup
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 (1.25 ounce) envelope hollandaise sauce mix
* 4 cups half-and-half, divided
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning TM
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
* 1 pound fresh crabmeat

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, blend flour and hollandaise sauce mix with 2 cups half-and-half.
2. Melt butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add hollandaise mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Add remaining half-and-half, Old Bay, dry mustard, celery seed, and whipping cream. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Add crabmeat and sherry, stirring gently until warmed through. Serve immediately.

Baked Potato Soup
--5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced in 1 to 2-inch chunks
--1 teeny onion, diced
--4 cloves garlic, minced
--1 teaspoon seasoned salt
--1/2 teaspoon black pepper
--1/2 teaspoon red pepper
--2 quarts chicken broth
--1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, to add at the end
--crumbled bacon, green onion or chives, and cheddar cheese as garnish (optional)

The Directions.

Use a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Peel and dice the potatoes, and put them into the stoneware. Add onion and garlic. Sprinkle in the seasonings, and pour in the broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4. The potatoes should be fork-tender. You can use a potato masher to mash the potatoes in the soup, or a hand-held immersible blender.

After smashing the potatoes, crumble in both packages of cream cheese, and put the lid back on. Cook on high for about 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is completely dissolved. Stir a few times during the 30 minutes.

Garnish with crumbled bacon, green onion or chives, and cheddar cheese.