Sorry To Post This Here...or Anywhere, Really

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have sadly reached a conclusion that likely will lead to breaking up with my partner of 6 years. I am not happy about this, and I don't want to break up. But it seems like it may be inevitable...
Please no hate comments, but I identify as polyamorous and I am not happy in a monogamous relationship. I didn't know this when I 'signed up' for the monogamous relationship I'm in now. I've tried very hard to make it work but in the end I am just not being myself, I am unhappy, and I'm hiding who I am in order to make someone else happy...that's not okay for me to do.
So tonight when my partner gets off work and has her nap and we get the plumbing fixed (sigh) I am going to sit down with her and have the Talk. That we can either try a poly-style relationship, or we can call it quits. I don't know what she'll choose. I don't know if she'll choose to stay in the house as a roommate or if she'll want to move out. I don't know how badly she'll react (she has a tendency towards what I feel are histrionics). There is so much I'm frightened of, but I have to do this, for me.
If she does move out, we'll have to decide who keeps the cats (the dogs are mine, without question). Who keeps the aquarium (I don't really want it). I will have to cut back on fostering because the numbers we take are only made doable by the fact of there being two of us to split chores.
It's scary and it's hard to do and I already struggle with depression and anxiety. But trying to be someone who I am not wasn't helping those. Being alone won't help them either, but I can only hope that this is the right thing to do.
The timing is terrible, too, because yesterday was my birthday and she took me out for dinner and gave me a pendant on a necklace that says "I love you to the moon and back". It isn't that I don't love her, at all, I love her quite a lot. But I think she is very attached to traditional notions of monogamous love and that this will come as quite a blow to her. It's hard to help someone understand that love is not a finite quantity--I can love other people and not love her any less--I guess I just don't feel, as I've come into my own, that it's realistic to think all my needs can be adequately, let alone perfectly, fulfilled by one person. So I still love her and she's very important to me, but any one person alone is not enough. I think she'll think that makes me greedy.

No need for responses, really. I just needed to get this out, somewhere. I don't really have many friends that I can talk to about this sort of thing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you take the dogs, the work already will be divided up. If you can't stay you can't. A relationship has to be worked with to work. In a true relationship you don't just say I want this, I feel this, you have another to consider. Marriages too only work by the amount of work you want to put into them. You are most likely at that stage where the excitement has worn off and it gets down to day to day living. You will never find a relationship that holds the excitement of first meeting. If that is what you want , don't commit to a relationship at all unless the other is fully aware and agrees up front to not having a long term relationship.
You don't have to pretend to be something or someone you are not, that is what true love is, accepting someone for who they are, or aren't. DESPITE all their 'faults'. When you find the right one,you'll find everything you want, and if you don't, you'll BOTH work together to make it so. Good luck, I'm so sorry you feel this way.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have to do what's best for you and the timing will never be perfect. Keep your eyes open when talking to your partner and acknowledge if you can tell she's just saying what she needs to keep you instead of what she really can handle. I've been on the other side (sort of, kind of, it's complicated) and it's hard for everyone. Your courage to actually talk to her about this really shows courage and dedication to what is best for both of you.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible to stay friends for the sake of the animals. Sometimes it's hard work,but if you both ever truly loved each other,and your pets,it can happen.

But whatever the outcome,I wish you both all the luck,peace and love you can squeeze out of this world.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't often come into this forum, but in this case, dang!! I'm sorry to hear this, for you, for her and for the animals, the ones you have and the future ones you (hopefully) will be able to foster.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that after you both have a chance to de-stress (which, of course, matters tremendously for the dogs and cats EDIT --oops, sorry, fish matter too!-- you have now since they pick up on your emotions) you'll be able to at least reach an amicable agreement.
and
But whatever the outcome,I wish you both all the luck,peace and love you can squeeze out of this world.
:yeah: too.