Sometimes its better to retreat and fight another day!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magpie? Thanks mani mani . That would have been my guess, as we don't have those here in la-la land. We do have mockingbirds and blue jays, though, and both of those can be aggressive on cats, scolding and cussing them and even dive-bombing them. Fortunately, people here most keep their cats indoors-only and safe!
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy What a gorgeous catto! The silvertabs are breathtaking, IMHO.:loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magpie? Thanks mani mani . That would have been my guess, as we don't have those here in la-la land. We do have mockingbirds and blue jays, though, and both of those can be aggressive on cats, scolding and cussing them and even dive-bombing them. Fortunately, people here most keep their cats indoors-only and safe!
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy What a gorgeous catto! The silvertabs are breathtaking, IMHO.:loveeyes:
The Magpies here are a highly intelligent birds with excellent face recognition skills so its best for you to make friends with them and not an enemy because they pass on the information about you to their young and siblings. They injure many people here in Australia that they have taken a dislike too. These ones in my yard are nesting and the whole family look after the mother and the new babies. Couple of rules to get along with these birds.. No.1 be friends so you will not get swooped and attacked. No.2. They are a fascinating highly intelligent bird and you will have generation after gereration of bird visiting you and carrolling for you.
This one Blue had an argument with will walk with me inside to the fridge , I give it a snack and it flies off to the nest. Generally Blue ignores them and they ignore Blue but this time the Magpie dropped its treat and Blue pounced on it which started a war of words which Blue lost not so gracefully..lol Fur and feathers didnt fly but it was a close thing.

Magpie singing

But I really like the Butcher Bird sound.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have no idea whether I’ve seen or heard butcherbirds - I know their habitat goes from Queensland to Tasmania but that lovely song isn’t at all familiar.
Butcherbirds are wonderful mimics, so you never quite know!
I put up some wind chimes in the garden and watched as my resident BB sat listening and 'learning' the sound. It's been added to her repertoire. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy ...but those sounds are VERY preferable to people's noise and city racket!
I love both of these videos. But I think the magpie is my favorite song-wise. Our mockingbirds are called mockingbirds because, well, I guess it's quite obvious ;) I've seen and heard videos of the beautiful Lyrebird, which is also a great mimic and has quite a repertoire including some dark sounds i.e. chainsaw and automatic weapons. They have these for obvious reasons, sadly. They're amazing, beautiful birds.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue! Poor kitty but very smart kitty!! That peck would make an impression! I love all the birds. The Lyre bird has always amazed me. The range of vocalizations is just mind blowing. Wow. It’s sad they learn chainsaw sounds but maybe it can protect them. Run! I have a chainsaw and I will use it hooman! ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue! Poor kitty but very smart kitty!! That peck would make an impression! I love all the birds. The Lyre bird has always amazed me. The range of vocalizations is just mind blowing. Wow. It’s sad they learn chainsaw sounds but maybe it can protect them. Run! I have a chainsaw and I will use it hooman! ;)
Yes. The machine gun sound is very disturbing, too. But that's the reality of what's happening in habitats all over the world. Environmental activists have a very high attrition rate.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes. The machine gun sound is very disturbing, too. But that's the reality of what's happening in habitats all over the world. Environmental activists have a very high attrition rate.
It's a kid's toy gun. We don't have too many machine guns in the bush. :)

When I moved into this house many years ago I heard pecking on the door and there was mum, dad and the kid (Maggies) waiting for their treats. The elderly woman who owned the house before me had fed them for years. As Silver Crazy Silver Crazy , they remember faces and teach their kids who is a friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the Lyrebirds are amazing mimics..we were way out motorbike riding in the bush up in the mountians one day and stopped to have a break and a lyrebird decided to imitate a chainsaw 10 feet from us..we all jumped 10 feet..lol