Something wrong with TNR case

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all houses have screens in the windows, particularly in other countries. It is her mother's home and she doesn't have a say on whether the windows are open or closed or have screens or not.
Yeah, that's why I asked for an explanation of the particulars. I just want to understand what the environment is like.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the other cats coming for your cat’s food? If so, do not leave the food out overnight. That may help to deter them.

Since your cat is spayed, she will not have heat cycles that attract other males, so this is good that she can no longer get pregnant.

I would not use any kind of spray as it might harm your cats and the other cats. I think the best you can do is to “shoo” the other cats away to let them know they are not welcome.

It is a common and sad problem in areas where there are many stray cats who are always looking for food. They likely go into other homes as well. Just do the best you can to feed and protect your cat and to discourage the others.

It is lovely that your mom is allowing you to keep the cat that you love. I hope over time the situation with other cats improves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I may not have totally comprehended this.

I don't know where you are from or what your environment is like, but I had a hard time understanding why a particular home can't close off access to cats. But I now understand that your kitchen is an open space and you can't control who enters. I guess I just can't imagine that scenario, although I'm not trying to judge it. I just don't understand the reasons from my particular perspective. I'd love for it to be explained just for my understanding.
No worries! My house is technically made of two areas one for living area and one the garage/kitchen/laundry area. We don’t close off the second area even during the night, since people come and go through there (garage door) and it would be a hassle if we have to lock the door (the door is type with no handle so if not locked even a cat can push it open). For the kitchen it is attached to our patio so the windows are open to air out the kitchen. It’s not a safety concern for us as we have gates surrounding our house. There’s a door that separate those areas and our living space and thats the one we lock at night.

As for why I’m only allowing Kitten inside is because of my mom. She hates cat and even at first she disapproves of me feeding her but I negotiated a lot that’s why she gets to stay in our kitchen area now. Would love to allow more cats in but it’s better to just keep one than risk all. Plus she is the first one to enter our premise and made it her home. So I guess first come first serve.

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the other cats coming for your cat’s food? If so, do not leave the food out overnight. That may help to deter them.

Since your cat is spayed, she will not have heat cycles that attract other males, so this is good that she can no longer get pregnant.

I would not use any kind of spray as it might harm your cats and the other cats. I think the best you can do is to “shoo” the other cats away to let them know they are not welcome.

It is a common and sad problem in areas where there are many stray cats who are always looking for food. They likely go into other homes as well. Just do the best you can to feed and protect your cat and to discourage the others.

It is lovely that your mom is allowing you to keep the cat that you love. I hope over time the situation with other cats improves.
Thank you for the advice. Although they don’t come for my cat’s food as she eats them clean, I realised sometimes they do go through my trash can (sometimes filled with food). I will try to empty out the trashes more often.

Yes, I think I will avoid the sprays all together don’t want to give mixed signals to my cat. To give you some peace, the cats around my neighbourhood all looks healthy, most of them have ideal body size and rarely sick. I think my neighbours feed them routinely.

I am also so shocked when my mom allowed it. I have been sneaking around feeding Kitten for a month plus when she found out. Literally she opened the door to me cooking talking to Kitten, she went dead quiet. I was like ‘omg mom she’s the only one who accompanies me at night without her I’ll be scared’. Thank god she was already spayed then so I could defend her. After that she reluctantly allowed Kitten to stay in the kitchen area.

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries! My house is technically made of two areas one for living area and one the garage/kitchen/laundry area. We don’t close off the second area even during the night, since people come and go through there (garage door) and it would be a hassle if we have to lock the door (the door is type with no handle so if not locked even a cat can push it open). For the kitchen it is attached to our patio so the windows are open to air out the kitchen. It’s not a safety concern for us as we have gates surrounding our house. There’s a door that separate those areas and our living space and thats the one we lock at night.

As for why I’m only allowing Kitten inside is because of my mom. She hates cat and even at first she disapproves of me feeding her but I negotiated a lot that’s why she gets to stay in our kitchen area now. Would love to allow more cats in but it’s better to just keep one than risk all. Plus she is the first one to enter our premise and made it her home. So I guess first come first serve.
Forgot to add if I close off all access Kitten will be trapped in/trapped out of my home. I can’t have those two option happening since if she is trapped in, I fear that she’ll be bored and destroy something in my house. That would be an absolute deal breaker to my mom. If she is trapped out, she won’t have access to food and as I mentioned in the first post she won’t eat unless from me (what I believe).

Plus my house has terrible ventilation so at day time all doors and windows are open. At night time the kitchen window is always opened. Hope I describe my situation well.