Something wrong with my cat?

Lam22328

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve noticed the bottom lip of my kitten changing color, it seemed odd to me because before it wasn’t noticeable, you couldn’t see her bottom lip at all, she’s an all black cat. I asked the vet last Saturday and they said it looked fine, that as cats get older their bottom lip area starts to change color and texture. So I dropped it but today I was looking at her and one side of her bottom lip looks swollen/droopy and I don’t know what I could be. Please help!

I added photos so you could see the difference. Most recent is the one where I’m holding her.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That doesn't look normal. I think you should send a picture to your vet. The lip looks swollen. It may be the beginning of something called a rodent ulcer aka eosinophilic granuloma complex. It is a not well understood condition that cats can get, sometimes caused by an allergy. Of course, I don't know if that is what it is or not. But it could be in the early stages of it. Or it could be about a hundred other things.

If you use plastic dishes or bowls, switch to stainless steel or porcelain. If you feed canned food, feed from a flat plate.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen my cats lip do something like that, and then after a day or so it was normal again.
it never hurts to ask your vet. As the first person said, it could be 100 things. Dont panic though, it could be something very simple. I often misdiagnose my cats 💗 I took my little girl in because I thought she was constipated. Turned out she had a UTI. It never hurts to just give the vet a call. My vet is awesome about returning phone calls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lam22328

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That doesn't look normal. I think you should send a picture to your vet. The lip looks swollen. It may be the beginning of something called a rodent ulcer aka eosinophilic granuloma complex. It is a not well understood condition that cats can get, sometimes caused by an allergy. Of course, I don't know if that is what it is or not. But it could be in the early stages of it. Or it could be about a hundred other things.

If you use plastic dishes or bowls, switch to stainless steel or porcelain. If you feed canned food, feed from a flat plate.
I use porcelain bowls, slow feeder because she tends to eat too quickly and throw up from it. I looked it up and I’m not sure it fits honestly, the causes don’t add up. Plus I went and saw the vet just a couple of days prior and she was perfectly healthy. I will definitely be monitoring her closely because she’s not showing any symptoms of anything. But thank you c:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lam22328

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen my cats lip do something like that, and then after a day or so it was normal again.
it never hurts to ask your vet. As the first person said, it could be 100 things. Dont panic though, it could be something very simple. I often misdiagnose my cats 💗 I took my little girl in because I thought she was constipated. Turned out she had a UTI. It never hurts to just give the vet a call. My vet is awesome about returning phone calls.
I definitely have to find an affordable vet, right now I’ve been going to a local vet for people that can’t afford a regular vet. But thank you for reassuring me! It helps, I’ll see if it gets worse tomorrow. She seems normal so who knows what it is.