Something hanging out of mom, milk came in, no baby yet

Krista00421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took in a stray kitten and she’s pregnant don’t know exactly how far along she is but I think she only had 1 or 2 in there, she’s pretty small and I estimate she herself is around 7-8 mo this old. From my searches based on when I saw pink nipples I assumed she would deliver the last week of July but noticed on Thursday evening that her milk came in. It’s now sat morning and no sign of kittens yet. She’s been nesting the last couple days and being snippy with the dog that’s trying to play with her. I’m off work the weekend and am hoping she delivers while I’m home since I’m worried with her being so small and young. She’s a very petite girl. How much longer should I expect before she goes into labor. Also Thursday she had this pink meaty looking thing sticking out. It’s not there now. I can still feel a kitten move.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she needs to be seen by a vet today if at all possible to determine what is going on. Something doesn’t seem right. An x-ray and/or ultrasound will show how many kittens and if they are alive. It would also show an approximate gestational age of any kittens.

There may be a deceased kitten and a placenta trying to come out; or it came out and she ate it, which might indicate a sort of miscarriage of a kitten who failed to complete development.

Beyond that, if she is not in distress, she may later give birth to a deceased kitten and/or a live kitten or two.

Occasionally, a dead kitten can calcify inside the body and become stuck. This will usually cause infection and make the mother cat ill.

Since she is really too young to have kittens, getting her looked at can answer these questions and determine what is going on. Depending on what a vet finds, she may deliver normally, or she may need a c-section.

Do keep us posted! K Krista00421

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krista00421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have $23 to my name. I can’t get her to a vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope she has a normal delivery eventually. What will you do if she needs a vet? Can you open a Care Credit account?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krista00421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope she has a normal delivery eventually. What will you do if she needs a vet? Can you open a Care Credit account?
I tried to open care credit when her boy friend that I took in also was attacked but I was denied. I had planned to get her fixed but had to use those funds to pay for his surgery and had him neutered at the same time since he was under already and it would be cheaper. Apparently he had already got her pregnant. I wasn’t planning on losing my job and depleated my savings. Just started a new job but haven’t got paid yet

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know how things turn out. Thank you for helping both of these cats!