Some Advice Needed For My Feral Kitten

Daleen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

So this is my first post and I apologise for it being so long, I really just need some Advice or reassurance.

I found a little feral kitten living in a old car at my house a few months ago. She was completely wild and I couldnt just catch her. We fed her for about two month's and during this time we managed to get her a bit use to us and finally we trapped her and got her in our home. For a month she stayed in one of our bedrooms and we slowly introduced her to more of our home. She started getting more lovable; We could finally pet her and she would purr. So decided it was time to get her to the vet.

We got her to the vet and all went well, she got her shots and got sterilised. This happened last friday. (Naturally she got a bit wild and was scared of us but she calmed down in a day or two)
So since then we have slowly regained her trust and then we noticed she hasnt been feeling well the last two days or so.. shes been sleeping a lot and she hasn't eaten since yesterday afteroom

I called my vet and he told me to bring her in so I tried to get her but she got very wild very quickly. I struggled for over an hour trying to catch her and I think I just traumatised this poor little thing and I am feeling terrible about it. My vet told me rather to let her rest today and try again tomorrow if she hasn't gotten better on her own.

I honestly feel terrible that I scared her so much. Ive got two other cats, one of them being a stray but this kitten is my first feral. We believe shes about 5-6 months old and I am terrified that I have lost all her trust and that she may never come near me again and whats worse is that shes hiding under the bed now (has been for the last few hours) and now I wont be able to tell if she gets better or not.

I really just need some reassurance that this happens.. that emotionally she will be fine and grow out of it and that I can re establish a relationship with her.
IMG-20171227-WA0002.jpg

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site.

Cats typically forgive and forget. I trapped and socialized two cats at work, there was a lot of trauma at first. They learned to accept me and their surroundings. I had them at work for a year and then I took them home to be with my other two cats. I had to slowly introduce the cats from work to my house cats and again a lot of trauma at first. It was almost like starting over. Again they learned to accept their new surroundings. Give it time and try not to get stressed out around the cat as cats can pick up on our anxiety and get stressed along side us.

Kitty on my desk at work.

Kitty with her step brother Taz at home.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take lots and lots of time and patience. You will move forward only to have set backs. I always say when working with ferals it can be 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just keep your routine the same and keep visiting her often. Don't let her see your fear/frustration/saddness, etc.. She will pick up on that and think something is wrong.

I have 5 former ferals living in my house right now. The first one I brought inside almost 5 years ago. It took him one solid year to get used to inside living, my husband and son and our other animals. He is still very skittish today, but so lovey. The second one I brought in last year right after Christmas. He acclimated much more quickly. It was just his personality to be more laid back.

Last week I brought the remaining 3 inside as I am moving in about 6 weeks. This has been quite a process. They were all used to me when they were outside. They are now scared and different from outside. Yet I know in time, they too will progress. It just takes time and effort on the human side to help and nurture them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try leaving her carrier out all the time, for her to sleep and eat in. If you only bring it out when they are going to the vet, they are smart and they will know. Yes, she will definitely forgive you. Sometimes we have to make them do things they don't want to do, but they will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daleen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses and advice! I will definitely remember it. Unfortunately I did make the big mistake of letting her see my anxiety about the situation and I know that made it worse, I could see it scared her even more, which is why I think she has completely retreated back into hiding. I will keep an eye on her to see if she eats any thing and uses the litter box. I hope she will get well on her own and hopefully we can avoid the vet completely for the time being.

Again, Thank you so much for your responses! It is so very much appreciated!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D Daleen if I'm reading your post correctly, its not even a week since spaying?

I'll yield to the more knowledgeable to respond to my question......

does the hormone normalization period not apply to females as well?

I know my 3 year old feral male Bug was bonkers during his 6 week normalization period, retreating, hiding, sleeping excessive, off & on violent. A year indoors now, he's a well trusted member of my family and leader of my Club Med for kitties.

I'm thinking if the above applies (why would it not?) you need to give your kitty space and time. Going forward, you'll have plenty of time to play, feed, interact, etc and gain trust.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for bringing her in and getting her spayed. She is a cutie pie. :catlove:

I have no personal experience with ferals, but have been reading different threads here, and learning lots about socializing these kitties. I know it takes time. And patience.

Here's an article that might have some helpful ideas: Handling Feral Cats

Good luck. :catrub: