Solong Garfield

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A little over 2 years ago, one of our clients at Sights for Hope where I work had to put her cat down, and we got talking about cats and I told her that if she wanted another one I easily could get her one from Virginia, the lady who feeds strays in Allentown, that is who I got my buddy Sylvester from. She waited a bit but then said she was ready, so I contacted Virginia and she told me of a big orange tabby that was slower and was so afraid when he sat in the street. This guy was so lovable, big cat, not an outside cat by any means, so we made it happen. There is a vet right next door to our center, and he was checked out there and then I took his new mom Kim and him home, and they just loved each other. I didn't see Kim often, but when I did we of course talked about how he was doing and she said he was good and really happy, purred a lot. But last night she called me to tell me that she had to put him down, he was having convulsions and not doing good, her sister rushed them to a local emergency vet and they said they could do all kinds of tests but didn't think he was doing good, so she made the agonizing decision to put him down. I was totally caught off guard, did not expect this, but it is how it goes sometimes as we all know. But she gave him over two years of love and an inside life, and he gave her love in return, and he is fine now, just fine, and I told her "when you meet again it will be tears of joy, not sadness", but it is so sad. But she thanked me for helping her get him, and said she will never forget him. Neither will I....

Solong Garfield, it was a pleasure to have known you albeit a short time, play and have fun at the bridge until you see Kim again. You were loved...:rbheart: :sniffle:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since all my inside cats are orange, this hits home.....There is just something about an orange cat that makes you happy.
You are so right. he is just fine now, no more fear, no more unknown. He is at peace because he received so much love and happiness in the last two years, it is exactly what he wanted and needed more than anything. I am sure having an inside life prolonged what life he had left, the fear that poor boy felt when out in that street had to have been overwhelming. Now he has a permanent home in your friend, Kim's, heart.
They found each other with your help in this big world, i pray she can concentrate on the happiness he brought and not the sadness of his leaving. She gave him everything he wanted, bless her heart, and most likely saved his life. He will always send his love to her, and her to him, connected by the bonds of love. Love is spiritual, so eternal.
I send my sincere condolences and will pray for them both. I always think of this saying when sadness is threatening to overwhelm me, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". No matter how long, or how short the time was for them to be together, it was his lifetime......RIP precious Garfield. You will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Garfield, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever!

Thank you for making sure that Garfield's remaining time was one of home, hearth, and an abundance of love! That gift was his "forever," and you facilitated it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't often visit this thread because it's so difficult for me but I know how much sadness you've been through lately so I read your post. My heartfelt sympathies go out to Kim. :hugs: She gave Garfield his forever home and in return he gave her unconditional love. RIP sweet angel.:angel: