solid carcinoma, grade II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joan Pardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, hope everything is all right.

Today my beloved Amy, has been diagnostic with solid carcinoma, grade II.

I been doing lots of research and it seems that surgery and chemo are the main treatment for these cases. But even with that, the odds are not that long in time.

And well, I’m heartbroken really, in tears.

I was wondering in any of you has any experience in this matter. Now she’s doing all right but I suppose that time will take its toll.

Are you aware of any new treatments? Or anything has work for you that may help her o make her more comfortable.

Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. And so sorry for your little girl, Amy.

I did a search on this site for 'solid carcinoma' and found no other posts. I also looked up this phrase and was unable to find anything specific under that particular name. Is there another term the vets have used? Or perhaps the location of the tumor(s) might help others on this site to recognize the same condition in their cats? Knowing a little more might also enable us to recommend other forums who are specifically focused on Amy's type of cancer.

However, generally speaking, have you asked the vet about consulting with vet universities or specialty vets that might be aware of other forms of treatment, particularly in the area of clinical trials? If you have a vet that specializes in oncology, they should be a good resource for alternative treatments as well as best care advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joan Pardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! thanks for your response and words.

It's located in the mammary area.

She has an appoitment next week with an oncologist (the closest available), so then I'll guess, I will know more.

The vet universities is a good idea. I will see if anything comes out of that. Thanks for that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the extra information. I have included below two links I have found on this site related to mammary cancer. These links are for other posts for the same subject matter. It will be a lot of posts to go through, some helpful and some likely not, but if you are up to it, you might want to take a look.

I am in the process of searching a forum group I belong to, to see if I can find one for mammary cancer - I suspect I will find one.
Search Results for Query: mammary carcinoma | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: mammary cancer | TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Mammary Tumors | Veterinary Medical Center

I am sorry that you are facing this. The article from OSU may help you to formulate some questions for the oncologist. Animals usually respond to chemo much more comfortably than humans do. Not unlike human breast cancer, size and clean margins (which could mean some extensive surgery) are important. Do you have a tumor size as opposed to the grade?

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who recently passed away because of late stage mammary cancer. She was a pregnant stray when I found her, so the vet was unable to catch the cancer early on because of other health issues. We tried surgery, but the cancer came back only a few days later, so at that point we just tried to keep her comfortrable since there wasn't really anything else we could do. Because of that, I'm not sure about other treatment options, but I can say how we kept her comfortable in her last few months.

To keep her more comfortrable, I put some steps by my bed so she would be able to get up without having to jump since she was beggining to loose mobility. I got a catbox with steps as well so she would be able to get to it easier. No-stick cat litter helped alot to with keeping it from getting caught in her fur. Just keeping everything accessible and your cat clean helps with keeping them happy I think.

High protein food helped for a bit to keep her weight up, but since that was recomended by our vet, im not sure if you should ask your vet before giving it to your cat or not?

I do hope your cat is able to make a successfull recovery though.

Joan Pardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I’m been I little overwhelm due to the situation.

So, I been doing research, reading the links that you guys posted and talking to a friend sister (who is a vet) and I been getting a little bit more of a sight prior to Amys appointment with the oncologist next week.

So, I guess the more viable procedure is the surgery and then try to boost her immune system and chemo.

I also wrote emails to the two most well-known vet university where I live, to see if there’s a trial treatment or anything.

But I don’t know, I’m trying to breath trough this… otherwise it will become a little bit to heavy (is already is a bit) and trying to enjoy every minute I get with her.

On the other hand, Amy just went through surgery a few weeks ago due to other issues, and she came out of it apparently very well (got some issues with her kidneys, but the latest blood check-up show mayor improvement). Due to this surgery they discover the mammary cancer. So just when I was happy because everything was going great, I got the confirmation from the biopsy. So, no time to breath.

I’m worried if she will be able to go through another surgery and all that and if I’m going to be able to pay for it. But I sense that she wants to fight, so that has me trying to get funding anywhere I can.

Thank you all again for your responses.

Joan Pardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just wanted to stop by and share that today, July 20, 2023, our beloved Amy has passed away after battling like a fierce warrior. We are devastated and not sure how to cope. But we fought like champs.

Much love.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry, but it sure seems like she fought a good fight. I know you didn't want to lose her but am glad that you had another 1 1/2 years with her before it came to this. RIP little Amy. :angel:

emmabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel your pain. Our elderly gent went to the vet yesterday when he was having weak back legs. They saw a mass in his abdomen and fluid in there. We're devastated, even though he had loss weight, I was hoping against hope that it was just his age. In reality I knew better but it still sucks...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Amy. While this is no consolation, you both fought remarkably for an incredible amount of time. When a cat passes on, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute to Amy in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are welcome to do so.
Crossing the Bridge
May memories of good times with Amy come back to comfort you eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.