Snoring?

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your kitty snore? My cat's lungs are fine according to the vet, but I find it disturbing to hear her breathe like this. It seems as if the issue is in her nasal passages. It's so disturbing to me. 😫 Vet said she's probably just snoring and is fine. Since when is snoring fine? It bothers me so much. I feel like she's not getting enough air when she sleeps. I've had 3 cats in my lifetime and all of them slept very quietly and peacefully. I'd post a video, but it says it's not allowed when I upload it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that snores quietly sometimes. I asked the doctor; he examined Sir Eats-A-Lot's lungs and didn't find anything. Haven't had any cats before him that snored. It is disconcerting, but Sir Eats-A-Lot has been just fine and the doctor pronounces his health as "excellent." He's not overweight, either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat Snoring: Is It Normal? | PetMD

This article covers most of the major points about cat snoring. Since you took him to the vet, you have ruled out lung issues, something caught in the throat or an obstruction and I assume he is not a cat who has a very short face?

The tipping point on snoring is if something else seems to be going along with it. Having said that, you are describing a somewhat severe snore, so I would not hesitate to get a second opinion from a vet who is not in the same practice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of cat do you have? Is she overweight? Mine is and snores occasionally when she's sleeping very deeply.
It's so weird. It's like as soon as she falls asleep, she starts snoring. She's otally normal otherwise. She is a silver torbie. Her weight is perfect, and she is a young kitty. Almost 5 months old.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can go from sleepy to conked out and snoring in seconds flat. It's uncanny. But then they don't have bills, politics, and covid to keep them awake.

You can upload videos through the Media section of this site.
https://thecatsite.com/media/add

Or if that doesn't work (iPhone videos seem to require transcoding to a supported format), you can upload them to YouTube or Instagram and link back to them here.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat likes to snore in my ear. Some times meows in her sleep. She sleeps on top of my couch so her head is pressed against the pillow. Sometimes she naps on my lap and makes a popping noisehttps:

//drive.google.com/file/d/1Fa0D4piBBt1YkDRvItULBP8tw3rgPP0G/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat likes to snore in my ear. Some times meows in her sleep. She sleeps on top of my couch so her head is pressed against the pillow. Sometimes she naps on my lap and makes a popping noisehttps:

//drive.google.com/file/d/1Fa0D4piBBt1YkDRvItULBP8tw3rgPP0G/view?usp=drivesdk
We have a big family room with glass doors. I used to lock her in there at night with all her things, pretty much for safety and since she's a wild kitten, she attacked so much on our bed. Now she is old enough to sleep with me without getting crazy, UT DANG. She wakes me up with her snoring hahaha! I dealt with that with my husband for years and he finally got an apap machine, now my Suki keeping me awake hahaha 🤣😭😍😻

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she make that noise on inhale or exhale?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just heard my cat Meimey snore the first time in 8 years. She’s about 5.5 kg, kind of chunky but not too fat. I was terrified when I first heard it because we were napping in the room and I thought someone else was in the house! Turns out it was my cat.
She was laying on her back when she snored. When I touched her, she changed position and it stopped.

I don’t know how long she‘s been doing so but this is the first time I heard it. I hope it nothing since she seems normal.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just heard my cat Meimey snore the first time in 8 years. She’s about 5.5 kg, kind of chunky but not too fat. I was terrified when I first heard it because we were napping in the room and I thought someone else was in the house! Turns out it was my cat.
She was laying on her back when she snored. When I touched her, she changed position and it stopped.

I don’t know how long she‘s been doing so but this is the first time I heard it. I hope it nothing since she seems normal.
Hopefully it's nothing or maybe because she's a bit chunky. I have since read that there are a lot of cats who snore. I should have known, but it's so new to me. None of my cats have ever stored before.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is peacefully snoring & it’s the most comforting sound. He didn’t always do this but I think if you’re 17 going on 18 you’re entitled to sleep however you want.