Snickers and his bad teeth/gums

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we just got over Sylvester having Uveitis and now Stanley and Snickers have teeth and gum issues, Snickers more so than Stan. I took him to the vet last week because he was acting strange and nervous and was going to the food but wasn't eating, so the vet checked him out and said the only thing he saw was his teeth and gums were horrible, said they rate it from 1 to 4 with 4 being the worst and he said "he's a 5", so they gave him an antibiotic shot, an anti inflammatory shot, a B12 shot for immunity and some pain meds which he of course won't take, suggested dental work in the very near future which we will have to do, but he doesn't seem to be eating unless he sneaks in when we don't see him, but he does eat hard treats so I give him a lot of them and we also have the soft Squeeze Up treats. He seems okay otherwise, but does this sound like it is because of his mouth situation or do you think something else may be going on? He is doing everything else but not really eating but if his mouth and gums are sore that makes sense.

Thanks for any insight....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your vet if there is a pharmacy in the area that can compound the pain meds transdermally. They are applied to the inside of the ear, just rubbed in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if there is a pharmacy in the area that can compound the pain meds transdermally. They are applied to the inside of the ear, just rubbed in.
I asked them about this and they said that the pharmacy said it isn't very effective?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He seems okay otherwise, but does this sound like it is because of his mouth situation or do you think something else may be going on? He is doing everything else but not really eating but if his mouth and gums are sore that makes sense.
If the vet said on a 1-4 scale with 4 being the worst that Snickers gums are a "5" then it's definitely his teeth/gums. Since he's not eating well did the vet suggest giving him Mirtazapine? It's a very reliable appetite stimulant and worked wonders for our cats. Best of luck, please keep us posted on his dental progress. :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had good luck with transdermals, which is just as well, because pilling my cat is hazardous to your health. She doesn't try to hurt you, but she's strong, and she struggles. I've had stitches from trying to clip her claws, and one serious bite over a pill. And, I will say, the transdermals have got to be more effective than not medicating at all.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet said on a 1-4 scale with 4 being the worst that Snickers gums are a "5" then it's definitely his teeth/gums. Since he's not eating well did the vet suggest giving him Mirtazapine? It's a very reliable appetite stimulant and worked wonders for our cats. Best of luck, please keep us posted on his dental progress. :alright:
No they didn't suggest that, I'll have to ask about it.

Yes it most surely is his teeth, he went to a food bowl and tried to eat, jumped back a little and went away. I keep giving him treats which he will eat, and we just wrestled him enough to give him a syringe full of pain meds, yuck...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The little guy is at the vet right now getting his dental work done, I hope he is okay and he can start eating again after this is done, I'm sure that he will be but it is easy to worry!!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We got the little guy home, he had a LOT of work done so it will be a bit until he feels somewhat better, but we'll take care of him best we can. He is understandably nervous and jumpy, I'm sure that wasn't enjoyable what he went through, poor little guy, but he did good the vet said, especially for a 14 year old cat.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I got up this morning to feed them and he wasn't around, I figured that he was hiding and from the very traumatic day yesterday I understood and figured it might be awhile until we see him. But when I went back to bed Deb was awake and I told her that and she said "oh no, during the night when I went down he was all over me, purring so loudly, rubbing into me, he couldn't get close enough to me!" so that was good to hear! Now we just have to make sure that he comes out and eats something so we can give him his medicines that they gave us, that'll be the hard part lol!!!

Poor little guy.....but he'll be better in the weeks to come I'm sure!