Sneezing cat seems fine otherwise

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
It's been a few years since I've been on this site, but you've all been really helpful in the past, so here I am again.
My cat Randy started sneezing a few days ago. We're packing up to move, and kicking up dust, and of course Randy has to help. She's always had this strange plastic chew compulsion, and I noticed the day before the sneezing began that she chewed on a plastic ziplock bag in a moving box I hadn't taped that used to be stored next to some incense, so it had a slight smell.
Randy is 16, but she's always been prone to allergies and every year or so goes through a runny eye/nose spell that clears up on its own, so I'm not too worried (yet). She eats fine, drinks fine, plays fine, purrs, seems happy, sleeps good, etc. Her nose and eyes don't even seem runny, so this doesn't look to be as bad as she's had it in the past at all, but it's been a few days now, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it stop.
The sneezing is not constant or violent, but it tends to be fits of several small quiet sneezes that typically happen when she is trying to bathe. Sometimes she'll sneeze when she sniffs something she's interested in, but mostly just when she bathes (and she sneezes all through the bath, not just once or twice) When I first noticed her doing this I did the normal allergy damage control: dust, vacuum, wash the bedding, vacuum the furniture, brush the cat, clean the sinks (since she plays in the sinks), etc. Still no improvement, so I did it all again, still no improvement.
I have to be careful what litter I buy because cat litter dust bugs her a lot, but I just finished off a bag she'd been using for the past month, and the problem just started, so I don't think it's that.
Since it happens worst when she bathes, I feel like it must be something in her fur. I don't know how to help that, other than to keep the house clean so she doesn't get back into whatever it was and keep her brushed.
I brushed her last either yesterday or the day before (the days all run together). How often is it safe to brush a cat? I try to once a week, my mom said she would twice a week. Randy has short hair and always keeps herself really clean. I don't want to irritate her skin, but I wonder if I brushed her again if it would help if there is something in her fur making her sneeze.
Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
Thanks

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
Is this the usual time of year Randy gets the sneezes? If you're concerned, always reach out to your vet. Two of my cats (both 15 1/2 years) have gone through the runny eyes/sneezes in the past few weeks. Luckily, it seems to have cleared up.
I don't tend to get worried unless I see a decrease in appetite, which can be dangerous is left untreated but since Randy is still eating, that's great! Just keep an eye on that.
You can safely brush her every day provided you're using a soft type brush that doesn't scratch her skin. If she's tolerant, a flea comb might help pull out any excess dander or dust that's in her fur. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks iPappy. I have a calendar around here somewhere that I've kept track of her health, I should find last year's and see what time of year she was last runny. The air quality here has been pretty bad, I guess still because of wildfires. Maybe the air quality is affecting our pets. Since her fur is short and her skin is sensitive, I use a human baby brush. I don't see any excess dander or anything on her fur, it seems clean to me. She always gets in my face, and she hasn't been making me sneezy, but she sure seems to be making herself sneezy. I'll try brushing her again (and try to find that calendar!) and see if it does any good.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks iPappy. I have a calendar around here somewhere that I've kept track of her health, I should find last year's and see what time of year she was last runny. The air quality here has been pretty bad, I guess still because of wildfires. Maybe the air quality is affecting our pets. Since her fur is short and her skin is sensitive, I use a human baby brush. I don't see any excess dander or anything on her fur, it seems clean to me. She always gets in my face, and she hasn't been making me sneezy, but she sure seems to be making herself sneezy. I'll try brushing her again (and try to find that calendar!) and see if it does any good.
I think poor air quality is a factor. Please let us know how it goes. 🙂

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning Randy woke me up happy and purring instead of sneezing (she's my alarm clock). She has still sneezed quite a bit today, but less. I haven't found my calendar yet for last year, but I looked through this year and this is the first time so far, so I bet she was all runny last fall. She's still eating good. I brushed her again today, and then washed her brush. When it dries out, I'll brush her again with it all clean. Hopefully that will help. She still sneezes the most when she's bathing herself. But hopefully it's improving!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This morning Randy woke me up happy and purring instead of sneezing (she's my alarm clock). She has still sneezed quite a bit today, but less. I haven't found my calendar yet for last year, but I looked through this year and this is the first time so far, so I bet she was all runny last fall. She's still eating good. I brushed her again today, and then washed her brush. When it dries out, I'll brush her again with it all clean. Hopefully that will help. She still sneezes the most when she's bathing herself. But hopefully it's improving!
This sounds very encouraging!! It's cute how she's your alarm clock, too! :cutecat:

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds very encouraging!! It's cute how she's your alarm clock, too! :cutecat:
Yes, she's been my alarm clock for many years. She always helps me get ready for work, too. I used to have to wait for a cab, and in the winter I'd get dressed and put my socks over the vent so they would warm up, then when I was all set I'd put my socks on and stand over the floor vent so I'd be good and warm before running outside, and Randy would sit by me and warm up too. I haven't had to wait for a cab for years, but still when she gets cold in the winter or hot in the summer she'll sit over the vent since then!

She stopped sneezing yesterday, and I haven't heard her sneeze yet today! I'm still not sure what caused it, but at least it seems taken care of now.
Thanks!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, she's been my alarm clock for many years. She always helps me get ready for work, too. I used to have to wait for a cab, and in the winter I'd get dressed and put my socks over the vent so they would warm up, then when I was all set I'd put my socks on and stand over the floor vent so I'd be good and warm before running outside, and Randy would sit by me and warm up too. I haven't had to wait for a cab for years, but still when she gets cold in the winter or hot in the summer she'll sit over the vent since then!

She stopped sneezing yesterday, and I haven't heard her sneeze yet today! I'm still not sure what caused it, but at least it seems taken care of now.
Thanks!
Wonderful news! That's adorable how Randy helped you get ready for work. :)