Sneezing Benji?

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve just noticed that Benji has been sneezing quite a bit in the past few days. He’s acting and looking perfectly normal. A relative visited yesterday, could he be allergic to something they brought with them? I know I might seem like a crazy over-concerned pet parent but I’m just wondering what it could be.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any discharge coming from his nose? Are his eyes watery, red or tearing? Does he have an appetite? If the sneezing continues definitely call your vet to check it out. Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So your relative visited yesterday but you commented that the sneezing has been going on longer than that. A vet check helps, but also, is your litter dusty? Is the air really dry and dusty where you are? Is the pollution really bad, even if you keep windows and doors closed for the most part? Are you using perfume, strongly scented laundry soap or dryer sheets, scented candles, spray cleaners (bath, kitchen, windows, furniture), have you had new carpet put in or received a new recliner --with fire retardant chemicals in the padding? And, once you eliminate all these as possibilities and made any adjustments and the sneezing is still going on, you might consider switching out his food for a little while to see if there's any difference there. You're a great cat person, hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any discharge coming from his nose? Are his eyes watery, red or tearing? Does he have an appetite? If the sneezing continues definitely call your vet to check it out. Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:
No, nothing suspicious. He’s sneezing a bit less but did sneeze a bit after drinking.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! So your relative visited yesterday but you commented that the sneezing has been going on longer than that. A vet check helps, but also, is your litter dusty? Is the air really dry and dusty where you are? Is the pollution really bad, even if you keep windows and doors closed for the most part? Are you using perfume, strongly scented laundry soap or dryer sheets, scented candles, spray cleaners (bath, kitchen, windows, furniture), have you had new carpet put in or received a new recliner --with fire retardant chemicals in the padding? And, once you eliminate all these as possibilities and made any adjustments and the sneezing is still going on, you might consider switching out his food for a little while to see if there's any difference there. You're a great cat person, hang in there!
Benji does have quite dusty litter, I think I’ll change it tomorrow with another one I’ll buy that’s more dust-free and see. The air is a bit dry, but not dusty. I’m not using anything like that, etc. I think it must be the litter but it changing that doesn’t work I’ll check out his food.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, here’s an update. I did change his litter to a dust-free brand, he seemed to have stopped sneezing for the most part after a while once I cleaned out the litter pan + put in the new litter. I also cleaned out the house a bit and that also probably helped.

Thanks to you all for the advice!