Sneezing and Decreased Appetite

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I took my cat to the vet yesterday for a decreased appetite and sneezing. His lungs and heart sounded perfect and his temperature was exactly where you would want it! He has not lost weight, gained .2 pounds. My vet gave him a shot of convenia and we have a call back in a week to see if it’s effective. If it’s not she will try something else. I was curious if anyone has experience with this antibiotic? Also, I’ve notice my cat smells his wet food (his favorite food, fancy feast classic pate, he always eats) and starts wiping his paw like he went to the bathroom. I’m pretty sure that means he doesn’t like the smell so he won’t eat it. Any recommendations on how to encourage eating? I also feed him freeze dried raw and he’s been eating that more than the wet food but it’s way more expensive. Any help appreciated!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried crushing up some of the freeze dried food and sprinkling it on the FF? That might get him started eating it. Or it's possible that because he's sneezing, he's a bit congested and can't smell as well as normal so the FF just doesn't give off the correct odor, confusing him as to what it really is. You could try heating it up a bit. Not hot, but warm.

As far as Convenia goes, many people have used that for their cats because of the convenience. I have with no issues. However, there are some cats that have had very bad reactions to it, as there are small percentages of drugs that cause bad reactions in humans too. The issue with Convenia is that it stays in the system for about 45 days, so if there ARE complications, there isn't much that can be done about it because you can't just stop giving it since it's in their system. But, again, most cats do fine with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried crushing up some of the freeze dried food and sprinkling it on the FF? That might get him started eating it. Or it's possible that because he's sneezing, he's a bit congested and can't smell as well as normal so the FF just doesn't give off the correct odor, confusing him as to what it really is. You could try heating it up a bit. Not hot, but warm.

As far as Convenia goes, many people have used that for their cats because of the convenience. I have with no issues. However, there are some cats that have had very bad reactions to it, as there are small percentages of drugs that cause bad reactions in humans too. The issue with Convenia is that it stays in the system for about 45 days, so if there ARE complications, there isn't much that can be done about it because you can't just stop giving it since it's in their system. But, again, most cats do fine with it.
Yes I actually have started adding the freeze dried raw but not crushed up maybe that will help, thank you! I’ve noticed when I add the freeze dried raw he eats more of the wet food but still leaves a good amount behind so i definitely will try the sprinkle method!! He definitely is not enjoying the smell of his food right now and I feel so bad.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along the lines of smelling - if he does have congestion, you can run hot water in a bathroom shower with the door closed to let the room get steamy, and then take him in there and sit with him for a few minutes to see if that helps clear any congestion he may have.

If the Covenia doesn't help, it might be time to try an x-ray of his chest to see if anything shows up that way.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Along the lines of smelling - if he does have congestion, you can run hot water in a bathroom shower with the door closed to let the room get steamy, and then take him in there and sit with him for a few minutes to see if that helps clear any congestion he may have.

If the Covenia doesn't help, it might be time to try an x-ray of his chest to see if anything shows up that way.
thank you!

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for another post but i’ve gone done a wormhole of information relating to convenia. So my cat, 2–4 years old neutered- who I adopted two months ago, has been sneezing for the whole time i’ve had him on and off. Recently his eating habits has decreased a lot. He sniffs his food and walks away. He is definitely hungry bc he meows for food and runs to the closet where his food is. I took him to he vet for these reasons and he is very healthy in terms of bloodwork and temperature. She listened to his lungs and hearts and they sounded fine. She decided on giving him convenia on Tuesday (it’s Thursday). I have a callback the following tuesday to see if it’s effective. Through research, it seems like convenia is not used for sneezing really and cats have bad reactions to it. His reaction hasn’t changed from prior (still sneezing and not eating). He also sits like this (picture) not for a long time but maybe like a minute of two a day? I’m just getting really exhausted because I don’t know how to help him. I feel so bad for him. He is still playing but it kinda seems like overplaying i’m not sure. He runs from like corner to corner of the house and then eventually goes upstairs and sits in one of the bedrooms. I’ve only had him two months so the vet, when I took him two weeks ago for the sneezing the first time, said I don’t know his personality yet, which is true. But he just seems a little off. Has anyone had any experience with these symptoms? What tests did you have done?

IMG_8938.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not all cats will have a negative reaction to Covenia. But, like most antibiotics, they can affect appetite. It was likely given because often when there is a respiratory issue, there is a bacterial infection. Since it is an injection, and can last in the system for weeks, there isn't any way to reverse any effects should that be the case. Treating his inappetence is the best course of action at this point (see link below for ideas). As I think I said before, if he is congested, then using a steamy hot shower room to help alleviate the congestion can be helpful. Stinky foods are also an option. Are his only symptoms on and off sneezing and decreased appetite?

However, it is possible that your cat might have a viral condition - or just an environmental/seasonal allergy - that causes the sneezing. Was he checked for things like FeLV and FIV? What history do you have from the place you adopted him from?

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given what you say about Franklin's symptoms lasting a long time, it sounds like maybe he had an upper respiratory infection. Runny eyes are also a common symptom. URIs can take time to go away; and, unfortunately, they never leave so flareups aren't uncommon. (Our cats both had them in recent months.) Did you adopt Franklin at a shelter, franklinsmother franklinsmother ? URIs are common there so lots of cats come home with them. What FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says about allergies is something to consider, too. I second the thought of a chest x-ray, too, just in case.

It's possible that he doesn't want to eat because he can't smell his food. We've also seen similar (finicky) behaviors to Frankln's in our cat who gets mildly constipated.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all cats will have a negative reaction to Covenia. But, like most antibiotics, they can affect appetite. It was likely given because often when there is a respiratory issue, there is a bacterial infection. Since it is an injection, and can last in the system for weeks, there isn't any way to reverse any effects should that be the case. Treating his inappetence is the best course of action at this point (see link below for ideas). As I think I said before, if he is congested, then using a steamy hot shower room to help alleviate the congestion can be helpful. Stinky foods are also an option. Are his only symptoms on and off sneezing and decreased appetite?

However, it is possible that your cat might have a viral condition - or just an environmental/seasonal allergy - that causes the sneezing. Was he checked for things like FeLV and FIV? What history do you have from the place you adopted him from?

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite
yes he tested negative for those. but yeah i have zero history on him

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Given what you say about Franklin's symptoms lasting a long time, it sounds like maybe he had an upper respiratory infection. Runny eyes are also a common symptom. URIs can take time to go away; and, unfortunately, they never leave so flareups aren't uncommon. (Our cats both had them in recent months.) Did you adopt Franklin at a shelter, franklinsmother franklinsmother ? URIs are common there so lots of cats come home with them. What FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says about allergies is something to consider, too. I second the thought of a chest x-ray, too, just in case.

It's possible that he doesn't want to eat because he can't smell his food. We've also seen similar (finicky) behaviors to Frankln's in our cat who gets mildly constipated.
he did have a uri two months ago? did it last that long?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is fairly easy to tell if the congestion is upper or lower airway when the vet listens to him with a stethoscope.

If he was my cat, I would not give any raw for the time being snd try warming up canned cat food to get him to eat. Another reason for being interested in food but not wanting to eat would be nausea. There are medications that can be given for that.

As for the Convenia, I personally think it is used far too often by vets for far too many reasons. But, I will say that the entire time I worked at a feline only practice (6years) and a specialty hospital (9years) I have not seen a cat have a reaction to it. I have heard of them but haven’t seen it. An antibiotic can be good for handling any secondary infection that might try to take advantage of his weakened immune system.

There is testing to see if he has a cat virus such as herpes or calicivirus and there are antivirals that can be given. Another thing to consider is fungal infections. I have seen allot of Cryptococcus show signs of upper respiratory symptoms that don’t clear up. This can also be tested for with a blood sample.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It is fairly easy to tell if the congestion is upper or lower airway when the vet listens to him with a stethoscope.

If he was my cat, I would not give any raw for the time being snd try warming up canned cat food to get him to eat. Another reason for being interested in food but not wanting to eat would be nausea. There are medications that can be given for that.

As for the Convenia, I personally think it is used far too often by vets for far too many reasons. But, I will say that the entire time I worked at a feline only practice (6years) and a specialty hospital (9years) I have not seen a cat have a reaction to it. I have heard of them but haven’t seen it. An antibiotic can be good for handling any secondary infection that might try to take advantage of his weakened immune system.

There is testing to see if he has a cat virus such as herpes or calicivirus and there are antivirals that can be given. Another thing to consider is fungal infections. I have seen allot of Cryptococcus show signs of upper respiratory symptoms that don’t clear up. This can also be tested for with a blood sample.
thank you! may i ask why you don’t recommend the raw food?

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi! I heated up his food and it was the most he’s eaten at one time since! He didn’t finish the portion but ate a good amount. Thank you! Why does heating up help?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Heating helps release the smell of the food. So glad he ate well!