Smelly ear polyps

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female senior cat has two ear polyps in one ear. She's had them for awhile, but they grew rather quickly recently. We brought her to vet several times for the headshaking and itchiness for several years. She would often scratch her ear to the point of bleeding. They gave use ointment to use daily for week time and then as needed. At first this was sufficient. Recently, the main polyp has grown quickly. Whereas before it was not visible to naked eye even with closer inspection, it is now clearly visible. Nothing works on this now. She is constantly scratching, headshaking the ear discharge and blood everywhere. The worse part is the smell. She has gone to vet three times in the past 6 weeks for this issue and terrible smell. Ear wash they gave us don't work. The initial drops no longer work. They gave us a different drop and that doesn't work. I insisted on oral antibiotics. That worked for a few days but the smell returned before the ten days of antibiotics finished. They don't want to operate due to her advanced age and high blood pressure (she's on medication to control her blood pressure). We don't know her age as she was a rescue. She looks very old. The smell is awful and intense. We can smell her from 8 feet away or further sometimes. It's so Terrible we can no longer even cuddle her, and the discharge and blood goes everywhere from frequently headshaking, and she has just started to flick the ear and sort of click her mouth when it now is itching. This is happening all day today, and it smells even worse than before the antibiotics. The vets have smelled her and seen her a few times , and well aware. They said this is all just how her condition is. I want my cat back to her happy old senior self.

Does anyone have any experience with stinky, bloody ear polyps? Is there something stronger topically or antibiotics? It smells like rotten cheese and dirty wet gym shoes combined, so it seems it could be fungal?? I refuse to accept this is just the way she will be. She is seeming sadder and I don't want her to get depressed. It smells so toxic. Inside the ear are the polyps (one large, one small), some blood, fresh and dried, from scratching, and some earwax but not much else. Cleaning the ears doesn't have much effect on smell, or itchiness, sometimes it even seems to make it worse. I've only been using vet prescribed ear wash.

Sorry so long. Thanks in advance.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if steroid might help to shrink them a little bit. If they were smaller, then (or a Vet) might be able to get inside the ear better for a more thorough cleaning to get a lot of that gunk out of there which should help with the smell.

I'm wondering though why they cannot perform surgery even with her high BP since it's under control. Many elderly cats go under anesthesia for dental work, and I'm sure some of them have high blood pressure. The Vet's just make sure to monitor them while they are "under". At this point, I would think quality of life should come into play,and if she can't even get cuddles because no one can stand to be near her, and she is constantly scratching, head shaking, etc., in my mind it might be worth the risk of surgery to try to fix the issue. Poor baby, she must be lonely since she can't even be with her people :frown:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if steroid might help to shrink them a little bit. If they were smaller, then (or a Vet) might be able to get inside the ear better for a more thorough cleaning to get a lot of that gunk out of there which should help with the smell.

I'm wondering though why they cannot perform surgery even with her high BP since it's under control. Many elderly cats go under anesthesia for dental work, and I'm sure some of them have high blood pressure. The Vet's just make sure to monitor them while they are "under". At this point, I would think quality of life should come into play,and if she can't even get cuddles because no one can stand to be near her, and she is constantly scratching, head shaking, etc., in my mind it might be worth the risk of surgery to try to fix the issue. Poor baby, she must be lonely since she can't even be with her people :frown:.
Thank you for your reply. I am thinking along the same lines you are. I am not sure why they don't want to operate. Her BP is stable with the medication. She is checked every 6 months for this, and it's improving nicely. Her age is questionable, that much is true. She was a stray cat that was found with her older kittens. She was at the town shelter for a long time before we adopted her. We've had her for 13 years. She looks old and has always seemed a bit older due to her mysterious life before us. She had some previous injuries to her foot prior to being found. The vet is guessing older than 18.

We try to hang out with her as much as possible, and give her attention, but cannot cuddle due to the blood/discharge that she will shake all over. It's probably one of the smelliest things I have encountered. If the discharge lands on you or a surface, it smells terrible, and is difficult to wash the smell off. I really like my vet office and they have been so helpful for other issues, and for my cats routine appointments, but I am not sure how I feel about this particular treatment plan. Which is that they seem to just have the approach that not much can be done. At first she was taking Zymox Enzymatic Solution with Hydrocortisone 1.0%. That only worked for a the first year we knew of the polyps growth, and when it was smaller. As it's grown, this treatment does nothing to help the itchiness, which leads her scratching. Her paw becomes bloody from scratching, even with claws cut shorter. I asked for something stronger and was given Surolan (miconazole nitrate, polymyxin B sulfate, prednisolone acetate) so I think it does have a steroidal component to it, as well as antibiotics. But it's not very helpful, and my cat fights the application process, so I'm not sure how much is getting down into the ear canal. The oral antibiotics seemed hopeful. But alas, it was just a few days reprieve of itchiness, blood, discharge, and smell. It has returned even worse in the past week. I'll be calling up for something stronger. They also gave me Epiotic Advanced ear cleanser. It doesn't do much difference, but we use anyway. About 2 1/2 years ago, she had vestibular issues we brought her to the vet for, and they diagnosed with her a transient vestibular disorder that would self-resolve, which was the case and it self-resolved over a couple of days. I wonder if this was part of her polyp issue. When she was first diagnosed with the polyp, the vet there mentioned that it would most likely remain small and unbothersome, and that surgery wasn't necessary at that time. That was a few years ago, and looking back, I would have just done her surgery, though now with my own research, I've read that ear polyps usually return.

I will add that my cat only will tolerate touch that she initiates. She does not tolerate being held or medication applications, like most cats, but she is the most intolerant to it. So again, we do administer the drops, but I don't know if it's getting as deep as necessary.

I agree that this is about her quality of life. She is a sweet, spunky little kitty. She has a very particular set of rules for her humans and it's really part of her charms. It's quite cute, even if she's not the easiest kitty to work with. But one thing she loves to do is sit on your lap, or chest, and cuddle. She will sleep right on your head and it's quite cute. But she can't do that now with us, and that's probably something she needs the most when not feeling well, so it's an extremely sad situation. Plus, her waking minutes are usually spent looking annoyed or stressed by her itchy ear. :(

I have heard of a product called Bannix Antiseptic And Anti-fungal Spray For Dogs, Cats And Other Pets. Because this smells like a fungus to me, I am wondering if this would work. I will ask my vet. I will also be getting face shields for myself and family members to wear when we are with her, so that way if she shakes her head, the discharge won't splash on our faces or in eyes.

Thank you for reply and the suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has the vet ever taken a swab of the discharge for testing? I understand she has polyps, but what is the cause of the polyps - and, are the polyps the reason for the smell and discharge? Those are the first things that crossed my mind.

Aside from that, maybe some steroids might help for the meantime. The only thing you need to ask about that is if there is any impact to her BP, even if it is currently under control.

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has the vet ever taken a swab of the discharge for testing? I understand she has polyps, but what is the cause of the polyps - and, are the polyps the reason for the smell and discharge? Those are the first things that crossed my mind.

Aside from that, maybe some steroids might help for the meantime. The only thing you need to ask about that is if there is any impact to her BP, even if it is currently under control.
You mention good points. I have wondered why they haven't taken a swab of her ear discharge. We've been in several times for this and they have not taken a swab of the discharge, nor have they taken a tissue sample of the ear to see if they polyp is malignant, especially since it has grown quite quickly. I don't understand the resignation on their part about the condition. I understand that everything we do will be a "bandaid" solution (as they described it) but at least it's something. We've gone with it bleeding profusely and they send me home with the same medication (Zymox) and barely cleanup her fur, ears or paws. To get the other medications for her is just me being persistent and researching any solution. She scratches her ears to the point where they are looking slightly frayed, her fur is thinning on the exterior of ear and there is thinning of fur above and side of eye area. She will come up and meow to me to help her and I have no clue what to do. I told them I'm cleaning blood and discharge droplets constantly from the home, and the response is along the lines like 'yeah, it's a terrible condition. Only surgery will help and she's too old and frail'. I will apply Surolan drops and several minutes later I will find huge blood droplets on the floor or walls or couch or wherever due to her scratching her ear. So clearly it not helping even at the point of application.

This being the holidays has been rather stressful. We can barely have company over due to this, as we don't have a large house. My family spends time away from the living room where she is most comfortable, due to the horrific smell. This I mentioned to the vet and they still are taking this super conservative approach. :(

This is another question I will have for them as I will follow-up during open hours.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadly, you may just have to find another vet if this one you are using can't be at least supportive enough to explain why they are not taking other measures to help her. Maybe they have their reasons, but then they need to better explain them to you.

Nonetheless, look for referrals to other vets through family, friends, co-workers, neighbors and even the Next Door Neighbor web site if you have it. Any records of your cat are yours for free and can be shared with a new vet to help get them on board.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this information online and perhaps you might find it informative enough to help you to develop a list of questions for your vet. If removal is truly the answer, there are ways to do so with sedation, rather than anesthesia. Done this way, it does seem to be that the polyps can grow back, so it may be back to what can be done to give her relief without removal. I have to believe there are ways.
Ear Polyps in Cats: Causes, Signs & Treatments (Vet Answer) | Pet Keen

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this information online and perhaps you might find it informative enough to help you to develop a list of questions for your vet. If removal is truly the answer, there are ways to do so with sedation, rather than anesthesia. Done this way, it does seem to be that the polyps can grow back, so it may be back to what can be done to give her relief without removal. I have to believe there are ways.
Ear Polyps in Cats: Causes, Signs & Treatments (Vet Answer) | Pet Keen
Thank you for this link. I've looked so much on this topic in the past months and this is one is actually the best link as it mentions sedation, and explains the mucus discharge being smelly. Of the list of symptoms, she has about 10 of 13. She's been seen for some of these symptoms prior to the polyp, and even after the polyp was diagnosed, however, they did not mention any of these being from the polyps. I can clearly see now that they were from the polyps.

Their reasoning to not remove the polyps is that 1) she is too old; 2) they usually grow back, so not worth the risk of putting her under anesthesia. I honestly don't care if they grow back at some point as long as she has some relief and comfort. She's an old cat, so I want her to enjoy any time she has. And we want to be around her without reservations and face shields.

The smell and the changes surrounding her are also being picked up by my other cats. None of the three are friends, they tolerate each other, but that's it. However, the smell and her constant distress seems to be stressing out the other cats as well.

I am also going to suggest removing her actual outer ear, as I've seen cats live full lives without an ear. Part of the problem with the smell is that it's a hot, enclosed space (she has tiny ears). I wonder if removing the ear, and the polyp will be a relief to her and better to see when the polyp grows back. I will also get a second opinion. This situation has taken a toll on her. She doesn't groom as well, and as she has medium length fur, it's getting more and more messy, and she is difficult for us to groom her, especially like this. Again, they know this, and still taking such a conservative approach.

Thanks again!

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Correction to above posting: I think I got my terminology wrong, and understanding of the procedure incorrect. I meant external ear canal, as in an ear canal ablation, which I misunderstood, and now reading more about it. But from what I just read, that is a more involved surgery, so I don't think she is a good candidate for that. Sorry!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they actualy screened her as a bad candidate for anisthetic? Does she have a condition that would be affected by it (heart murmer/disease arrhythmia etc) i think the concern with anisthetic is the effect it has on the heart rate and blood pressure.

So after rereading, you meantion blood pressure, thats probably the big reason there.

There are alternate anisthetics used for cardiac patients however not all vets keep them on hand or have acess to them. It also takes a skilled hand to anisthize a cardiac patient.

Last edited:

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they actualy screened her as a bad candidate for anisthetic? Does she have a condition that would be affected by it (heart murmer/disease arrhythmia etc) i think the concern with anisthetic is the effect it has on the heart rate and blood pressure.

So after rereading, you meantion blood pressure, thats probably the big reason there.

There are alternate anisthetics used for cardiac patients however not all vets keep them on hand or have acess to them. It also takes a skilled hand to anisthize a cardiac patient.
She takes amlodipine for high blood pressure. We discovered she had high blood pressure last fall when her eye became swollen with blood. This poor kitty has a lot problems, but through it all, she just carries on. From my understanding, their biggest concern is her age.

fireheart13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice, suggestions, and support. My cat and I truly appreciate it!! :)

I called my vet office today. I asked about an ear culture test, a stronger medication, a surgical option under sedation, and a topical product I heard about for fungal infections. The vet assistant said the lab work is up to near $400 to get done, and even if they prescribe an antibiotic, it won't be a permanent solution, and the infection will return, could be within days, or months. She also said that a stronger steroid wouldn't really help shrinking the polyp, just the inflammation, however, it could also cause more irritation. This office doesn't do procedures involving the interior of the ear, so she will send me a list of veterinarians they use for these sort of procedures that I can consult options. My guess this is one reason they didn't suggest it, as they don't do these sorts of operations, as they are just a general practice.

As for the topical product, she cannot give me any information on that as she doesn't know the ingredients. She said something like that could actually make the problem worse, in that it could get into the canal and cause more buildup, so she suggested I stick with the ear wash and Surolan they prescribed. Because the Surolan is a steroid, I can only use 2x daily. I don't see these two meds actually helping as much as I hoped, as my kitty seems to get really worked up afterward, but it's the only thing I can do for now.

Hopefully I can get a consult soon. I know it's the worse couple of weeks to get an appointment, but at least its something to look forward to regarding this situation.

Thanks again! Maybe I can update so in case anyone else has a similar experience.