Small vs Large cell lymphoma

Barryc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am writing with a general question about feline lymphoma. Can anyone here confirm if small and large cell are mutually exclusive- i.e., a cat has 1 or the other or can small cell become large cell over time and if so, what might trigger this? Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything I have read about these cancers is that they are two distinct types and small will not 'grow/morph' into large cell over time. It can't be said it is impossible for a cat to have both, but it is highly unlikely. Here is just one of many articles you can find on the web site that addresses both.
feline-lymphoma--drs-krick-durham.pdf (upenn.edu)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Lymphoma cells can transform in humans, but I don't know if that holds true in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barryc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lymphoma cells can transform in humans, but I don't know if that holds true in cats.
Thanks for the replies provided. From what I understand inflamation from IBD can lead to lymphoma over time. What I don't know but working to determine if a diagnosis of LC lymphoma was always large cell or could it have migrated from small cell to large cell over time or due to improper/ineffective treatment. Thanks all!