Small hard bump

Janie834

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have found a small, hard bump on the side of my cat's head. I am fairly certain that it is new. It is not red, there is no broken skin and no sign of pus. It seems to be flesh coloured. It is hard. Any ideas on what it could be? Could it be a tick, if the tick actually got under the skin? He is an indoor only cat, but did live outside until October. He is about one year old, and otherwise in excellent health. No other symptoms. Thanks very much for any advice or ideas!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's most likely not a tick as they don't completely burrow under the skin. I would watch it for a few days and see if it changes. In the meantime, I'd make an appointment with the vet to have it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janie834

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's most likely not a tick as they don't completely burrow under the skin. I would watch it for a few days and see if it changes. In the meantime, I'd make an appointment with the vet to have it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
I did not know that they do not go all the way under the skin - thank you! That makes me feel much better. I will most certainly still get it checked out, but this makes me think it is not an emergency and can wait a day or two (rather than me rushing to get him in to be seen on a last minute basis). Thank you very much.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless there's bleeding or distress, or something recurring, I always watch it, but I go ahead and make an appointment, just in case my kitty needs to be seen.