Slightly elevated phosphorus in cat. What could be the cause?

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Waffle is young and healthy female cat. She is 2 and a half years old. She has her phosphorus elevated a bit though and we can’t really figure out why. Blood tests are all normal, renal markers are all within the normal range except for phosphorus. I feed her homemade raw diet if it matters, all the other cats of mine have their phosphorus all good. Waffle’s level is 2.1 mmol/l and our lab says that it should be not higher than 1.9 mmol/l. Someone has any clues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet mention any further testing, or talk about anything covered in this article relative to high phosphorus?
High Phosphorus in Cats – Hyperphosphatemia | Pet Care Advisors
My vet is on vacation so I was seeing another vet. He just said it’s stage 2 of CKD because phosphorus always elevates first which is bullshit and her other kidney values are all great. He said nothing more. My vet once mentioned it could be related to some problems with phosphorus absorption and stuff and she did say back then we can only use phosphorus binders for it. Waffle’s urine is all good as well. Maybe we’ll do kidneys ultrasound to see if everything is good there. I don’t know what further testing might be useful here honestly and it seems like my vet doesn’t know either. I’ll be able to talk to her only after September 20th about any options left for us to explore.

Thank you, I’ll look through the article later today. Hopefully I’ll find something new and useful there

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CKD would be unlikely in a cat that young. The accute form maybe but chronic develops over time.
Yes, totally! Like he said it and I was like nah, it can’t be. Especially with CREA and BUN being nothing but perfect. Phosphorus elevates later on, when all the other values already are elevated. My 12 yo cat has an early stage CKD so I’ve read a lot about it. Can’t be acute as well cause everything else is normal, once again

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to get a second opinion form a different clinic? Its a bit odd that vet doesn't seem to know chronic renal failure is an old cat disease.

At 2 a cat is just entering the prime of its life. 20's in human years.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you able to get a second opinion form a different clinic? Its a bit odd that vet doesn't seem to know chronic renal failure is an old cat disease.

At 2 a cat is just entering the prime of its life. 20's in human years.
It’s not my vet, mine is much more qualified but she is on vacation currently. I’ll see what I can do, I’ll probably book an online consultation cause we don’t have much good vets in the area.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree lwndlnd lwndlnd . I would ask my regular vet to go over her labs to see if there is any reason for concern. With a perfect BUN, I am puzzled by the other vet's conclusion, but I am not a professional where animals are concerned. Please keep us posted.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
He just said it’s stage 2 of CKD because phosphorus always elevates first which is bullshit and her other kidney values are all great.
My cat is in Stage 3 and her phosphorous levels just came back elevated for the first time. I would definitely ask your regular vet to review the labs.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is in Stage 3 and her phosphorous levels just came back elevated for the first time. I would definitely ask your regular vet to review the labs.
Definitely will do that!