...SLEEP... You are getting very sleepy...

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you sleep well? Any insomniacs in here?

What position do you sleep in?

Are you a morning person or night owl?

Do you keep to a bedtime routine or just fall into bed whenever you're tired?

How many hours of sleep do you usually get?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually sleep extremely well, almost too well
I can sleep thru just about about anything, including my alarm going off at 3 minute intervals
The last couple nights I've had a little trouble falling asleep- my mind is tumbling around a million thoughts

I usually start on my right side, but wake up on my back.... with my hair all messed up- I sleep with it in a ponytail and sometimes the elastic has worked it's way out- not sure what's going on there

I am a total night owl- could be tired all day and as soon as the sun goes down I am wide awake!

The only routine I have is that I read before going to sleep- oh, and i also snuggle with the kitties for a bit. I *try* to go to bed before 2 a.m., sometimes it happen, sometimes not, but then I'll be up for another hour reading no matter what time I get into bed

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm definitely a night owl. I could work an overnight shift no problem.

It takes me awhile to fall asleep, to shut my mind down, but then I usually sleep the night through (unless the dog barks or Lola has a seizure).

I tend to sleep on my back or side, depends on where the kitties plop down around me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added another question.

I sleep well once I get there. I'm a hard sleeper and always feel like I'm waking up out of death, lol. I don't think I qualify for "insomnia," but more like, "cannot force myself to go to bed because I am doing/reading too many interesting things and think I'll be fine with seven, six, five, four and a half hours of sleep"...

I'm a stomach sleeper
Much to the dismay of my chiropractor and my reverse-curved neck. I have been trying to train myself to sleep on my side, and it seems to be getting better. On my back is out of the question for now. Maybe some day...

Night owl! Katiemae, it's exactly as you say: I'm usually fuzzy through most of the day, and really excited to get home and rest and "go to bed early!" ... Nope. Never do. Ever. Nighttime is the best part of my day. In my defense, though, I used to work second shift, 3:30pm-12:30am. So I'd stay up until 4-5am and sleep until 12-1pm. Only in May did I switch abruptly to 8-5 - so maybe my system will adjust in time. Somehow I doubt it

No bedtime routine here though I'd like to establish one as they say it's essential in training your body to get tired. When I want to start to get sleepy, I either shut the computer off and read (best bet for getting sleepy), or shut all the lights off and turn my computer on its lowest brightness setting and read or do otherwise passive things online that don't require me to "talk." This doesn't work as well as reading - it takes longer, but it's definitely what I do more often.

And my added question - how many hours per night? My goal is always 7.5. At 8 hours I wake up groggy, and at 7 hours I wake up tired. 7.5 is exactly right for me. In reality... between 5 and 6. I hate it, lol. It's something I'm trying to work on.

12:35 AM EST ... I should take my own advice and go to bed ...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by parsleysage

Do you sleep well?
Yes.

Dunno, haven't really thought about it.

Night owl.

No real routine.

As many as I can.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And my added question - how many hours per night?
It varies. I can easily sleep ten hours per night.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
since I'm not working and my class doesn't start til 5:30, I do not wake up to an alarm and have been known to sleep for 12 hours
I average about 10 tho. Since I am on the second shift schedule, if I have to get up early, I can function remarkably well on 5 hours of sleep LOL but I make up for it the next day
that's when the 12 hour snoozes usually happen

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I can stay up until 4:00 a.m. much easier than get up at 4:00 a.m.
Staying up is easier for me too vs. getting up.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a VERY light sleeper and can be woken up at the drop of a hat.
I guess I'm more of a morning person than a night owl as we tend to go to bed pretty early. I need at least 8 hours of sleep to function though.
I usually sleep either on my back or side.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you sleep well? Any insomniacs in here? I'm sure l was a cat in another life, because l sleep soundly

What position do you sleep in? On the left, then on my right

Are you a morning person or night owl? Both really?

Do you keep to a bedtime routine or just fall into bed whenever you're tired? Through the week i do with being at work, but on a weekend i'm up until about 2.a.m

How many hours of sleep do you usually get? 7-8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As a rule, I don't sleep well anymore. I'm always pooped, too. I'm usually in bed and asleep now by midnight, although I used to be a night owl.....I could always work the night shift and, at 5:00 in the morning, I'd be bouncing around while everybody else was trying to stay awake.

I'll start out on my right side, but after Mollipop comes to bed, I'll roll over to my left side, so I can scoop her up and curl up around her. (Banshee, our Bridge baby, trained me well; she would come to bed and sit behind me and pat my neck until I turned over to cuddle with her. Now when Molli wants to sleep, I just automatically roll over; DH says I do it in my sleep.)

Bootser likes to start in screaming around 4:00 or so for breakfast and she'll get the other kids going as well. DH usually awakens at 5:00 for work. I'm awake, too; the cats have made sure of that, so I go down to the basement and hit the treadmill for 3-4 miles before grabbing a shower and coming into work. I'd say that usually around 3:30 -3:45, Bootser has me wide awake and I lay in bed trying to put off breakfast for them until 5:00.

It would be nice to sleep in on weekends, but cats don't know the difference between Friday and Saturday, so I'm usually awakened around 4:00 by Bootser. I don't know what it's like to get a good night's sleep anymore.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a very light sleeper and have to wear ear plugs because Larry snores too
. But my kitties, especially Presley, always wake me up for snuggles on and off throughout the night. I like to get about 7 - 8 hours but it is never straight through. I am a morning person and try to go to bed by 10 and get up early. I usually sleep on my side, right or left, doesn't matter...

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't usually sleep very well. My husband is a very loud snorer. I use earplugs and they help some but I can still hear him and it drives me crazy. LO

Usually on my belly or on my right side.

A little bit of both depending on the situation.

No routine. I try to go to bed at a reasonable time, though.

I try for 8-9. I have a hard time functioning on anything less than 7.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep pretty well. I can sleep through the alarm clock and cell phone alarms in the morning!

Side and back

If I had a choice I'd be a night owl, but my job makes me a grumpy morning person

Usually on weekdays I try to be in bed by 10:30pm at the latest. 10pm is my chosen "bedtime" for having to get up at 6am (which usually doesn't happen because I don't get into bed on time!
)

7-8ish, but it usually feels like 4!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you sleep well?
Usually no.

On my back

Night owl

Used to go to bed by 10. But now whenever, even if I'm tired I usually have a hard time sleeping.

5 if I'm lucky

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Opposite of an insomniac, actually. I have MS and my biggest issue is the mindnumbing fatigue. I can sleep anytime, anywhere!
Seriously though, I actually take legal speed (prescribed - amphetamine salts a.k.a. Adderall) - 30 mg, 3x/day to stay awake and functioning. So when I hit the pillow I'm OUT!

Start on my belly and move to my right side. However, if Mojo wants snuggles & nuzzles (she pushes her head really hard into my cheek or neck and kneads with her paws on either side of my neck
) she will wake me up & make me roll over by tugging on my ponytail. :rollover:

Night owl, bigger than life. That's part of my problem during the week (as if the fatigue isn't enough!). Friday & Saturday we're up until 2:00 a.m. easy. Then I have to try to get myself in bed before midnight on Sunday so I can survive Monday.

Routine is: Litterboxes. Kitty water. Kitty dry food. Take my handful of pills. Kitty wet food. Lay awake while DH talks about his trains/whatever while we watch Adult Swim & Boomerang (we always watch cartoons
). Once we turn on The Simpsons DVD we both settle in to sleep.

Weekends: 11-12 hours.
Weekdays: 7-8 hours. I try for 8, but it doesn't usually happen with 5 cats and 1 husband!