Skunk Problem

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping somebody can help me, I have been caring for 4 feral/abandoned cats since last winter. We have built them a new house this summer that is insulated and can be heated when winter starts. My problem is this week i have realized there is a skunk venturing around our yard at night. i can't say for certain if he is going into the cat house and eating their food but i'm pretty sure as i noticed that the mat has been chewed up and their food container (a self feeding container) has been knocked over and there is a large amount of food in the water. At first i thought someone in the neighborhood wasn't happy about us feeding the cats so my husband put a lock on the top so a human can't open it.
I guess my question is, has anyone had similar problems and how do i get rid of the skunk without deterring the cats? I decided today to take away the food and water but i'm worried the cats will stop coming. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You really cannot leave food out over night. Get the cats used to eating first thing in the morning and then feed them again late afternoon or early evening. At dark bring in ALL food. Not only could it be skunks, but raccoons. Once they find a food source, they will not leave and they are very destructive. I cannot leave food out even one night or my feeding area will be over run with raccoons, skunks and possums.

I can leave dry food out during the day without a problem, but all food is inside by 8 pm or sooner if it gets dark.

To see what is causing the problem, you can use a trail camera or wireless ip surveillance camera. I use several to keep an eye on my feral boys.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for those kitties! Yes, skunks will visit the food dishes. I know that it is a hassle but removing the food at night is best. My vet says that skunks cannot jump very high and neither can raccoons so i like to feed on a table. Unfortunately, I have 2 blind kitties in my yard so they need something to climb onto the table, which, of course, gets used by raccoons, who are excellent climbers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You really cannot leave food out over night. Get the cats used to eating first thing in the morning and then feed them again late afternoon or early evening. At dark bring in ALL food. Not only could it be skunks, but raccoons. Once they find a food source, they will not leave and they are very destructive. I cannot leave food out even one night or my feeding area will be over run with raccoons, skunks and possums.

I can leave dry food out during the day without a problem, but all food is inside by 8 pm or sooner if it gets dark.

To see what is causing the problem, you can use a trail camera or wireless ip surveillance camera. I use several to keep an eye on my feral boys.
Thank you so much for responding so quickly, i will definitely bring in the food before it gets dark from now on. We installed a security camera in the backyard that watches over the area where our dogs go so i can see whats happening without being out there with them, the rest of the backyard is for play time so i'm always with them. I was watching it the other day to see if Sharky (one of my ferals) had been to visit during the night as he loves to spend time on our deck thats when i saw the Skunk and then two nights ago the skunk was in and out pretty much all night. My husband said he will install another camera so i can see who is coming and going from our cat house. Thank you again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for those kitties! Yes, skunks will visit the food dishes. I know that it is a hassle but removing the food at night is best. My vet says that skunks cannot jump very high and neither can raccoons so i like to feed on a table. Unfortunately, I have 2 blind kitties in my yard so they need something to climb onto the table, which, of course, gets used by raccoons, who are excellent climbers.
Thank you catsknowme, I was surprised to see the skunk thankfully i haven't seen any racoons :) I think in the long run its going to be easier to bring the food in than worry about the cats and my dogs.