Skin Growing Over Cats Stitches

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s only been three days since her spay surgery, but one of the stitches is getting covered by skin. Literally one whole side of the stitch is covered in skin now. The stitch area is also bumpy. I’m attaching a picture for reference, and circled the one that is being covered by skin. The vet is currently closed right now, and is for the entire weekend. Is this okay for the skin to be growing over?? I thought skin only usually grew over the suture if it was left on too long.

Attachments

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me it looks like the area may be swollen a bit still and I dont see anthing too worrying. I would continue to keep an eye on the area but it looks pretty good overall to me personally. If the skin really has grown over the stitch it'll be ok til Monday.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stitches are supposed to dissolve. It used to be cats got dissolving stitches inside, but regular stitches outside. But when my last cat was spayed, all of them dissolved in about two weeks. Do you know what kind of stitches your vet used on the outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stitches are supposed to dissolve. It used to be cats got dissolving stitches inside, but regular stitches outside. But when my last cat was spayed, all of them dissolved in about two weeks. Do you know what kind of stitches your vet used on the outside?

The vet used stitches that have to be removed on the outside. We have to take her back in about ten days

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it bad to take spaying stitches out late?

This is an old thread where stitches were left in for a long period of time.

I would call the vet on Monday and let them know that this is happening. Given that the surgery was only three days ago, you should not try to do anything to the stitches yourself. Stitches which are covered by skin can still be removed and you are on top of this so your cat is not in any danger. Watch for signs of discomfort though which might make her try to paw at the incision if she is not wearing a cone.

I once rescued a dog who was home neutered and no one ever took the stitches out. He was understandably uncomfortable, but the vet was easily able to get them out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it bad to take spaying stitches out late?

This is an old thread where stitches were left in for a long period of time.

I would call the vet on Monday and let them know that this is happening. Given that the surgery was only three days ago, you should not try to do anything to the stitches yourself. Stitches which are covered by skin can still be removed and you are on top of this so your cat is not in any danger. Watch for signs of discomfort though which might make her try to paw at the incision if she is not wearing a cone.

I once rescued a dog who was home neutered and no one ever took the stitches out. He was understandably uncomfortable, but the vet was easily able to get them out.

Thank you so much. She doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort. She is eating, drinking, and using the restroom. I wonder if the vet will want to go ahead and take that one stitch out and fix it, or leave it and just take it out with the others.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's fine, it's just a little swollen. The vet will not want to take it out as it's part of the healing process.