Signs My Queen Is Close To Delivery

HayleyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I’m new to this forum.
I just had a few questions to better understand my cats pregnancy.
She is about to pop, and I have been able to feel the kittens moving around for about a week now, though they could have been moving before then. I don’t know the exact day she became pregnant, but if I had to guess I would say sometime in January.
Her nipples are secreting a bit of colostrum when squeezed gently. She is a pretty attached kitty, so I haven’t seen her nesting much, even though she has a box ready in a nice secluded area. She prefers to lay in my lap any chance she gets, and really enjoys having her tummy rubbed. She has been excessively cleaning, and exploring the house.
We are about to head out of town for the week, on Sunday, and won’t be back until Saturday. I know most cats are capable of giving birth alone, but I would really like to be there Incase something goes wrong. Do you think it’s likely for her to go into labor between tonight and tomorrow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HayleyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are a couple other articles.

I'm assuming you have someone who will be checking in on her frequently? It isn't just the birthing. Things could be perfect but on the flip side, could be dicey for a couple days...

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Of course. We have a trusted friend house and pet sitting, and I have already informed her of the basic first aid information, and she has all of my vets contact information.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really should not be left alone. Do you have someone who can stay with her, or could you cancel your plans?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Milk production starts a day or two before delivery, so it could be any time now. I would not recommend leaving her alone for such an extended period of time, until the kittens are weaned. Usually, cat births go smoothly, but there can always be complications, both before or after delivery.

HayleyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Milk production starts a day or two before delivery, so it could be any time now. I would not recommend leaving her alone for such an extended period of time, until the kittens are weaned. Usually, cat births go smoothly, but there can always be complications, both before or after delivery.
I have a pet sitter who is well equipped with everything she needs. My vet is also 5 minutes away, and I have given my sitter all of the contact information, along with the go ahead to take her if needed.

HayleyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things? How are you and your pregnant mama?
She is great! 5 healthy, beautiful kittens & mama is so sweet (: I attached a photo. Instead of the crate she chose to give birth behind the crate.. so I just laid a few blankets down for them so she could move them onto there.

HayleyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is great! 5 healthy, beautiful kittens & mama is so sweet (: I attached a photo. Instead of the crate she chose to give birth behind the crate.. so I just laid a few blankets down for them so she could move them onto there.
Picture is not loading, but we have 3 blonde and 2 black babies (:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear they are doing well! It would be best if you could weigh the kittens daily and make sure they are all gaining appropriately. There is likely a runt.

Are you able to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males now? She could get pregnant again even within a week of delivery.