Sickness and roundworms

Haras

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a male stray cat show up about two weeks ago. He is very sweet, very affectionate, he would come around every day, eat and then hang around for a couple of hours. Well, he showed up ok Wednesday evening (two days ago) and he was clearly not well, I brought him into the house that evening and he's been inside since then. He has not had anything to eat or drink during this time, I've tried multiple things and he has refused everything so far. This morning he went to the litter box and I noticed a pretty significant sized roundworm in his stool. I have called around to five different vets and supposedly none of them can get me in. I started him on dewormer drops, but right after I gave them to him he threw them up. I don't know what else to do. Could there be something else going on other than roundworm? Does roundworm actually make cats this sick? He is lethargic, he isn't getting up and walking around much, and he isn't meowing. Should I force fluids? I don't want to make the situation worse. We do have an appointment for Monday morning (if he makes it that long).

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to take him to an emergency vet hospital. Him not eating and drinking for this long can cause serious problems. You mentioned after giving him the medicine he threw "them" up worms? If you try to syringe fluids you have to go very slow as to make sure he does not aspirated that is very important. Can you get some baby food meat flavor. Plain with no seasoning.

You could get different flavors including chicken, turkey, ham, beef
If you get something like these check the ingredients to make sure they don't have any onion or garlic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haras

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You may need to take him to an emergency vet hospital. Him not eating and drinking for this long can cause serious problems. You mentioned after giving him the medicine he threw "them" up worms? If you try to syringe fluids you have to go very slow as to make sure he does not aspirated that is very important. Can you get some baby food meat flavor. Plain with no seasoning.

You could get different flavors including chicken, turkey, ham, beef
If you get something like these check the ingredients to make sure they don't have any onion or garlic

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL].
He didn't throw up worms, he threw up the dewormer.