Sickly Queen Drying Up at 3½wks

KopperKlaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELLO!

We took in a sickly pregnant stray cat, who is (we're guessing) about 1yr old. We thought that she just needed regular meals to get better, but here we are, 3½ weeks after the birth of FIVE fur balls, & momma is still not gaining weight. She has terribly smelly gas, and eats as often as a baby, but it seems to go right through her! I clean the litter box every 4-ish hours, where I usually find what can be best likened to "soft-serve" ice cream. I just changed her diet, today, so am hoping for a positive change.

This morning, I was helping to encourage her to roll over to allow babies to nurse (by rubbing her belly), and noticed kittens were searching, but not latching on, then giving up & walking away. I felt her tummy again & noticed her teats were no longer engorged/swollen, and we're particularly dry/scaly. I even gently squeezed a couple, to satisfy my curiosity, and they were bone dry. The same process occurred this evening, with a kitten trying to suckle, me rubbing momma's belly, feeling dryness, & kitten walking away.

The last few days, momma has been spending more time with me in the living room, instead of with the kittens, in the bedroom. I feel as though she is trying to express something to me, but I'm unsure...

The kittens have been eating wet food for almost a full week, now, approximately every 8hrs, and some are even trying out the water bowl, and kitten kibble.

My question:
Should I get KMR, or just keep them on a full kitten food diet?

Please Note that I am aware that momma needs a vet visit, but we are still paying on 3 loans from vet visits for other cats.

Counting momma and kittens, we are now caring for TEN kitties--that includes helping a neighbor's cat, a friend's cat, a stray we've cared for since he was a kitten, and another 1yr old that showed up when she was only 4wks old!

Everyone else is healthy; it's just momma cat (Sammy) who is worrying. I fear that if we took her to the SPCA, they would euthenize her, instead of spending time & money to get her healthy. I need to find a facility that would fight for her as much as I wish that I could! ...rambling. sorry.

Thank you for any advice!

Pic:
Sammy & her 5 Babies

IMG_20200508_022843.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR would be helpful to the kittens to lap. Let them eat as often as they want as growing kittens need lots of food.

This mama kitty probably needs deworming and an antibiotic. I’m guessing she has parasites from the smelly gas and soft stools. She may also have a bacterial infection in her gut, but treating her would require a couple of meds and I’ll bet she would bounce right back. See if you can swing it. She really needs help. Also, apply coconut or olive oil to her dry tummy skin.

I hope there are no intact males to impregnate anyone right now. Thanks for helping out these kitties!

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a queen like this and she did much better on a duck and potato limited ingredient food. That being said, she most likely needs a de-wormer. I don't know what area you are in but in the US we can get fenbendazole (Panacur and Safeguard) and pyrantel over the counter without prescription. My vet said that those are okay to use for lactating queens, but please do your own research as I am not qualified to give medical advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You had got good advices. With a little luck its mostly deworming she needs. (you didnt mentioned you dewormed). The symptoms hints strongly a heavy worm infestation.
On momma its probably best to use some all round dewormer, ie working both against roundworms and tapeworms.
The kittens should have a roundworm dewormer, as round worms may come over with mommas milk. Some Pyrantel preparate should be suitable.

If your vet is willing to give you suitable recommendation over the phone for free, ask him. (you are after all a paying customer).

Otherwise, there are OTC brands. Most are good, some are bad, so look up what is to get at your pet shop or apotheke, and google or ask us here on this forum.

Good the kittens are willing and able to eat on their own! Be sure they do add weigh properly every day... Feeding every 8 hour sounds too seldom.

If you can get goats milk, its good supplement for both kittens and momma. Otherwise kmr is ok to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KopperKlaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you all; thank you!

Heading out to an appointment, so I'll stop at store(s), afterwards to pick up dewormer, kmr/goat milk, plus I'll need more wet food. I'll start feeding them more often - every 4hrs sound good?

I just began giving momma a calorie supplement, about 3 days ago. Vet at pet supply store said it was okay for lactating mothers. The tube states that I can't give to kitties under 6mo, but they seem pretty good, for the most part.

When I was a kid, black cats were exotic, and rare; everyone wanted one. So, now that they are prolific, they are no longer interesting to (some) people. Burns my britches! I hope to be able to find good homes for them. I'm already looking, because it takes a lot of time. Found some good local shelters that adopt out, but need to find their policy for taking in animals. Any advice on the adoption front? I'll wait as long as I can to adopt them out (8-12wks minimum).

Thank you all, again!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
12 weeks is best to adopt out the kittens. Do NOT use Craig’s List - people buy kittens as snake bait, fishing bait, and for dog fights. Encourage adopters to take them in pairs if possible. Kittens adjust well with a sibling to play with. Here is a link:

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

Feeding every 4 hours (6 times a day) is exactly what the kittens need right now! :)