Sick or Depression ?

mermoo27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple days ago my cat started acting very weird. Sleeping all day, not eating or drinking, not going outside, and making a face like he was going to sneeze. So, 2 days ago we took him to the vet. He got blood tests and an x ray and the only problem they found was he was dehydrated. They gave him fluids and sent us home with a medication that is supposed to simulate his appetite. Since then i’ve seen him eat about 3 bites of food and will only drink milk. ( He’s 3 years old by the way.) He is constantly tired and laying down and also a lot more clingy. I’m wondering if maybe he is not sick and maybe he had a cat friend outside who passed or something? My cat spent a lot of time outside prior to getting like this so i’m thinking something like that could be the only reason. If anyone has had something similar happen please let me know and give advice. thank you:)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet check his teeth? Cats won't cry out in pain. Most of the time, the only indication you get of dental pain is that they stop eating.

Cats are meant to get their daily moisture from their food. If your guy doesn't start eating in the next day or two, I would take him back for another round of fluids. Dehydration can be more dangerous than not eating and set in faster. You can also ask the vet about a pain or anti-nausea prescription. Does he sniff food and walk away or does he not show any interest in food? If he keeps returning, but leaving without eating or only a nibble or two, he wants to eat but something like nausea or pain is stopping him.

In the meantime, I would stop by the store and pick up some of the more highly appealing "junk" food brands like Friskies, Fancy Feast, and Sheba. It's better to eat at McDonald's than starve at Whole Foods. Choose wet food over dry. Prefer pate to shredded texture in case he has tooth pain.

Another option to explore is an ultrasound. Blood work and Xrays don't reveal everything. The ultrasound would show the condition of the organs in detail that Xrays can't visualize.

When you return in a day or two for more fluids if he's not yet eating again, ask about nausea and pain medication, ask about a dental exam, and ask about an ultrasound. Discuss costs and timelines as dentals and ultrasounds are not cheap. But not eating can become serious if left unresolved for too long. So while I hope it's just something simple that fixes itself. You can't really wait and see on that.

Sorry this is happening. Whatever it turns out to be, I'm hoping it resolves quickly and easily.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can get depressed, but they don't normally completely stop eating. They may get a little mopey, but what you are describing sounds much more like an illness. Not all illllnesses show up in bloodwork either, as daftcat75 daftcat75 mentioned. More often than not, when cats are rehydrated, their appetites return, at least a little bit, even with sick cats, so this is quite worrisome. I would definitely contact the Vet again. Oh, and BTW, most adult cats are lactose intolerant, so giving him cow's milk isn't a good idea. Goat's millk is fine though. If he is lapping up cow's milk, he may be having digestive issues (cramping, etc.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mermoo27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple days ago my cat started acting very weird. Sleeping all day, not eating or drinking, not going outside, and making a face like he was going to sneeze. So, 2 days ago we took him to the vet. He got blood tests and an x ray and the only problem they found was he was dehydrated. They gave him fluids and sent us home with a medication that is supposed to simulate his appetite. Since then i’ve seen him eat about 3 bites of food and will only drink milk. ( He’s 3 years old by the way.) He is constantly tired and laying down and also a lot more clingy. I’m wondering if maybe he is not sick and maybe he had a cat friend outside who passed or something? My cat spent a lot of time outside prior to getting like this so i’m thinking something like that could be the only reason. If anyone has had something similar happen please let me know and give advice. thank you:)
To everyone that responded , thank you for your advice and help. We got him some wet food but he really only licked the juice. I noticed he was having diarrhea and also peeing on the floor which he literally never does. It’s a very small amount of pee as well. Now we are on the phone with the vet for further advice cause i really have no idea what is wrong with my cat :( hoping for the best.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The diarrhea may very well have come from drinking milk. And peeing on the floor can be the result of him having a UTI, which could explain why he has been acting as he had. Did they do a urinalysis when you first took him in? Have you taken him back this morning? Keep us posted on what's happening. We worry as if they were our own.

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last time we dealt with a UTI, our cat acted very much like what you describe.