Sick kitty questions.

KennyMcRae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I’ve been reading the forums but decided to post as we are not sure what’s going on.

So a couple weeks ago, we noticed our 15yo domestic black short hair male, wasn’t eating as much, had lost a lb and was much less active.

He has been on thyroid pills for a year and his condition is stable in that area. No problem with pill taking.

We took him into his normal vet and they prescribed Mirataz and Cerenia. His appetite was not doing well, but he would nibble at food.

I knew something was off so we ordered an X-ray and found he had a pleural efflusion. So we were able to get him into an emergency vet last Friday to get his chest drained and the fluid tested. Which came back for pulmonary carcinoma.

We have an appointment with an oncologist Tuesday.
When he came home from the vet sat morning, he had a shot of morphine they gave him that was wearing off. He immediately went pee in the box, then ate a bunch of dry food then went downstairs and sat in the breakfast nook in the sun the rest of the day. But was sleeping and very out of it.

His appetite has been an issue ever since. We ended up having to syringe feed him some Hills A/D the vet gave us.

But the vets kept telling us not to syringe feed because of food aversion. Except hewasn’t eating and we didn’t want him to get fatty liver disease from not eating.

We gave him the 100mg of Gaba he was prescribed for pain, but split into two 50mg doses 12hrs apart. Which didn’t seem to help but make him lethargic. We talked to the vet and tried the full 100mg once every 24. He was a zombie and ended up pooping on the bed. So we stopped that and took him back to the vet where they gave him a morphine derivative. Which didn’t seem to change anything either.
We took him off that 48hrs ago. He doesn’t seem to be in pain, he can move around find, stable and can jump up onto a 3ft tall bed with no issues. Still uses the litter box. Has lost .6lbs over the week.

We got him in yesterday for bloodwork to see if he has a fatty liver, as that could be causing the appetite issues. It seems like that’s a feedback loop. So we started syringe feeding again yesterday, got about 5oz of AD in him over 4 feedings. This morning he got another oz.

We are waiting to hear back on blood work results today.
I wonder if he needs to be taken off the Mirataz and Cerenia. That they’re actually causing the eating issues. Every time he smells food, he will start gnashing his teeth and licking out the sides of his mouth like there’s something in there he’s trying to get out. Which to me appears as though he is very nausea but the Cerenia is suppressing his ability to vomit, not actually fixing his nausea.

If the oncologist doesn’t have a viable option that includes a good quality of life for at least 6months, then we will be taking the steroids route to hopefully make his last month or so, comfortable.

I wish I could know what he was feeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KennyMcRae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you gotten the results back yet?
not yet, supposed to call us today. Hopefully it gives us some answers. Going to discuss taking him off the Cerenia and Mirataz as he’s already not eating and appears nauseous. He’s on 12mg of Cerenia. Which seems like a lot

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry for what your cat and you are going through. 🤗 Does your cat have Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism? The reason I asked is because Hyperthyroidism is more common in cats and Hypothyroidism is more rare. H-T often masks other illnesses such as kidney disease or diabetes. Did your vet mention whether the strength of the medicine he is taking for his H-T needs to be adjusted?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cerenia can cause a lack of appetite. It is a less common side effect in cats, but can happen. If there are underlying kidney or liver issues, especially in an older cat, the elimination time for drugs like morphine and gabapentin will be increased and you will see a longer sedative effect. My vet has always said that gabapentin is as much a sedative as a pain reliever in practice. The vet does not want you to try to syringe feed him because of food aversion? Does that mean that it stresses the cat to be fed that way or there is some reason that he should not have food? I agree with your concern about not eating and a fatty liver.

Primary pulmonary carcinomas are rare in cats. Did the vet think that there is cancer elsewhere that has spread? I don't mean to bring up something really unpleasant, but it might help inform your treatment and care as you move forward.