Sick kitten

Belle75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 or 4 week old sick kitten from a stray cat. Mama cat bathes and stimulates him and tries to feed but the kitten just won't eat. I tried bottle feeding but doesn't want to eat much. He cries and seems restless. I had to gently bathe to remove as much fleas as possible. His breathing appears abnormal. Could he have an upper respiratory infection? I'm not working right now and don't have the funds and I hate to see him suffer. My heart breaks for this lil guy. I live in ohio and there are no low cost clinics near me that I know of and vets are expensive. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you immediately thoroughly dry and warm the kitten after bathing? And are you keeping it sufficiently warm?

What are you using to feed with?

Since you can not afford vet care for this kitten, please immediately start contacting rescues to see if you can surrender him to them so that they can get him the vet care he needs ASAP. Kittens fade very quickly so please don’t wait.

You can get more urgent advice in the meantime if you post to our Pregnancy Cats and Kitten Care subforum -

Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care

Please keep us updated and thank you for doing what you can!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like an upper respiratory infection (URI) unless he/she has already inhaled milk in its lungs from forced bottle feeding and has pneumonia. A URI requires antibiotics to cure. I agree that surrendering to a shelter may be your best bet, but the kitten will not last long without food.

Therefore, I suggest that you try syringe feeding, which allows you to feed the kitten without the kitten suckling. However, you must go slow and only squeeze tiny amounts in the side of the mouth and let the kitten swallow and breathe in between.

Here’s a helpful video from Kitten Lady:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please let us know what happens with this kitten!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, try with syringe feeding, or a dropper if you cant get a syringe. A little tricky, but can be done.
Kittens whom are used to momma, are often reluctant to take bottle, so it may be why he doesnt take bottle... And if he is weak, syringe is easier.

What kmr do you use? Goats milk is OK to use, and raw goats milk is even excellent.

You can also try a little sugar water (or even better, white caro syrup or honey with water), to give some quick energhy.

If the kitten is very weak, such a sugar water may be your solution, because it doesnt even need to be digested, it goes straight into blood.
The kitten wont survive long only on such sugar water (or pedialyte), but it will buy you time.

Belle75 Belle75

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Belle75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, try with syringe feeding, or a dropper if you cant get a syringe. A little tricky, but can be done.
Kittens whom are used to momma, are often reluctant to take bottle, so it may be why he doesnt take bottle... And if he is weak, syringe is easier.

What kmr do you use? Goats milk is OK to use, and raw goats milk is even excellent.

You can also try a little sugar water (or even better, white caro syrup or honey with water), to give some quick energhy.

If the kitten is very weak, such a sugar water may be your solution, because it doesnt even need to be digested, it goes straight into blood.
The kitten wont survive long only on such sugar water (or pedialyte), but it will buy you time.

Belle75 Belle75

Belle75 Belle75
Thanks! I did use syringe it was much easier. And I did use sugar water and it helped enough till I could get to a vet. He's improving! Thanks for the advice!