Sick Kitten with History of Anemia

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I foster kittens for a local cat rescue, and I'm concerned about one of my current fosters. I got her quite a while ago, and a few weeks ago, she became very sick. Her rectum prolapsed, and that drove me to ask about her overall health and lethargy. She was taken to a vet's and stayed the night on IV fluids and was sent home much better, and has been ever since. I recently had to return her to the shelter while I went on vacation, and she did very well there, and was running about from room to room when I went to pick her up. However, the day after, which would be Wednesday the 9th, she became lethargic once more. I assumed it was the change or something, but Thursday came and she was even worse. She is normally the perfect kitten, affectionate and loving, always purring nearby and giving little kisses, but that day she only wanted to stay flopped on her bed. Today, I noticed a limp, and found that when I spread her front right leg from her body, it was painful. Telling the person kn charge of the shelter this, it was diagnosed as a sprain, and I was told it would get better with a few days of rest. However, this evening, I am more worried than even about her, as the limp seems to have moved to her back left leg, and she is perhaps even more lethargic than when she was anemic. She has also lost a few ounces, and weighs about 2 lbs. and 10 oz., although she was born on April 6th, and her sister weighs more than a pound more than her. Could this be a relapse of anemia? Or something else? She'll probably be taken to the shelter tomorrow for a more through look over, but I'd like some more ideas, if anyone has them. Thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I foster kittens for a local cat rescue, and I'm concerned about one of my current fosters. I got her quite a while ago, and a few weeks ago, she became very sick. Her rectum prolapsed, and that drove me to ask about her overall health and lethargy. She was taken to a vet's and stayed the night on IV fluids and was sent home much better, and has been ever since. I recently had to return her to the shelter while I went on vacation, and she did very well there, and was running about from room to room when I went to pick her up. However, the day after, which would be Wednesday the 9th, she became lethargic once more. I assumed it was the change or something, but Thursday came and she was even worse. She is normally the perfect kitten, affectionate and loving, always purring nearby and giving little kisses, but that day she only wanted to stay flopped on her bed. Today, I noticed a limp, and found that when I spread her front right leg from her body, it was painful. Telling the person kn charge of the shelter this, it was diagnosed as a sprain, and I was told it would get better with a few days of rest. However, this evening, I am more worried than even about her, as the limp seems to have moved to her back left leg, and she is perhaps even more lethargic than when she was anemic. She has also lost a few ounces, and weighs about 2 lbs. and 10 oz., although she was born on April 6th, and her sister weighs more than a pound more than her. Could this be a relapse of anemia? Or something else? She'll probably be taken to the shelter tomorrow for a more through look over, but I'd like some more ideas, if anyone has them. Thank you!
I'm very curious on how the vet visit went/will go today and what they think this could be. This is very puzzling. Tiny Ball of Fuzz Tiny Ball of Fuzz please update us when the kitten has been seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet had no answers. He said that upon physical examination, there was nothing at all wrong with her. Even the limp had totally disappeared, and when I got home and set her free, she wasn't limping at all. I'll just keep an eye on her and if she begins again, I'll film it and see what the person in charge of the shelter says. Meanwhile, I'll continue doing basic exams: I'm not a vet so I can't do all that much, but I can check ears, eyes, etc., along with daily weigh-ins, like I always do. Her weight loss might be a bit visible now, she has faint dips after her belly but before her back hips. I really have no clue, and there's nothing to prompt the vet to do x-rays or any more tests, so we'll just wait and see.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she and what is her name?
Hmmm... I don't know. I was really thinking something had happened to her while she was at the shelter while you were away.. I guess I was wrong though.

Btw, just throwing this out there.. we love pictures lol

Please keep us posted on the little angel

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet had no answers. He said that upon physical examination, there was nothing at all wrong with her. Even the limp had totally disappeared, and when I got home and set her free, she wasn't limping at all. I'll just keep an eye on her and if she begins again, I'll film it and see what the person in charge of the shelter says. Meanwhile, I'll continue doing basic exams: I'm not a vet so I can't do all that much, but I can check ears, eyes, etc., along with daily weigh-ins, like I always do. Her weight loss might be a bit visible now, she has faint dips after her belly but before her back hips. I really have no clue, and there's nothing to prompt the vet to do x-rays or any more tests, so we'll just wait and see.
That's incredibly frustrating. The only thing I could think of, given the history of anemia and the sudden painful joints that waxes and wanes would be something tick-borne. How old is the kitten?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you see if the shelter had found and removed any ticks? That is another thing that would actually make sense.
Also she was out with other kitties.. is there anyway she could have picked up something from another kitty that could possibly be causing her ailments?

What would have happened to her at the shelter to cause her to have a sprain? Did they mention any falls or anything like that?

I'm so sorry I don't have anymore suggestions or advice for you. I wish I did.
I really hope your little kitty starts to feel better ASAP. Please keep us posted.
You and her are in my thoughts and prayers.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When she was anemic, did they check her for micro plasma? It is a blood parasitic bacteria that is caused by fleas. It can cause anemia and a transitional fever.

The other thing to check would be a fecal PCR. And also toxoplasmosis.

I am m sure all the cat virals have been checked. FELV and FIV?

Of course FIP would also have to be considered.

I am glad she I SC doing better now. I would suggest you get a scale to weigh her at home. Any weight loss in a kitten is cause for alarm.

It sounds like you have to work with the shelter in what is done or not done, so you may have no choice in what happens.

She is very cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she doing now? She may have experienced a bout of calicivirus, for which there is no cure other than supportive care, But if she is doing well now, it sounds like she may be okay. Calici virus causes limping and loss of limb use, but is often overcome with proper care. It is a virus that can cause limping and debilitation, but is not necessarily fatal.

Here is a link to calici virus:

Feline Calicivirus Infection | VCA Animal Hospitals

it sounds like your kitten received proper care and is in recovery from this virus. It generally requires antibiotics, fluids, and possibly syringe feeding. Sounds like your kitten has made it to the other side. Congrats! Please let us know if you need further help!

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your replies! I'll try to answer all questions but sorry if I miss any!
Ticks: No, I don't think so. Chino was born in the shelter's care and they have a very strict indoor only policy, so she couldn't have been bitten by any.
Falls/causes for a sprain: none were mentioned and Chino was not limping when we brought her home. A sprain has also been pretty much ruled out
Mycoplasma: I was not given a very thorough explanation of her vet stay because the shelter is extremely busy. However, she was not put on any antibiotics after the visit, and with my quick research, it seems like those are necessary to treat mycoplasma? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
FELV, FIV, FIP: I unfortunately do not currently have her paperwork so I can't check the vaccines, but she is fully vaccinated for her age, and I think she's at least had FELV?
Weight: I weigh my fosters daily
Calcivirus: I believe that she's already been vaccinated against it, at least partially, and she doesn't have any of the sneezing, runny nose type symptoms.
I said this briefly in my last post, but she is acting completely normal now, but has vomited and has diarrhea. Before her shelter stay, she was on Royal Canin kitten dry food, but was switched to Nutram Kitten food at the shelter, after which her symptoms started, so that is currently suspect, and I'm changing her food back to RC Kitten. I can also start giving RC Kitten wet food a couple times a day to ensure she's getting plenty of nutrients.
20230730_101537.jpg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your replies! I'll try to answer all questions but sorry if I miss any!
Ticks: No, I don't think so. Chino was born in the shelter's care and they have a very strict indoor only policy, so she couldn't have been bitten by any.
Falls/causes for a sprain: none were mentioned and Chino was not limping when we brought her home. A sprain has also been pretty much ruled out
Mycoplasma: I was not given a very thorough explanation of her vet stay because the shelter is extremely busy. However, she was not put on any antibiotics after the visit, and with my quick research, it seems like those are necessary to treat mycoplasma? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
FELV, FIV, FIP: I unfortunately do not currently have her paperwork so I can't check the vaccines, but she is fully vaccinated for her age, and I think she's at least had FELV?
Weight: I weigh my fosters daily
Calcivirus: I believe that she's already been vaccinated against it, at least partially, and she doesn't have any of the sneezing, runny nose type symptoms.
I said this briefly in my last post, but she is acting completely normal now, but has vomited and has diarrhea. Before her shelter stay, she was on Royal Canin kitten dry food, but was switched to Nutram Kitten food at the shelter, after which her symptoms started, so that is currently suspect, and I'm changing her food back to RC Kitten. I can also start giving RC Kitten wet food a couple times a day to ensure she's getting plenty of nutrients.View attachment 457120
If they switched her food abruptly it would more than likely definitely be cause for her tummy upset...

She is such a cutie! I gotta ask is that toy a little crochet turtle??

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they switched her food abruptly it would more than likely definitely be cause for her tummy upset...

She is such a cutie! I gotta ask is that toy a little crochet turtle??
Yeah, I thought so.
Yes it is! And good for you for identifying hst it was crochet and not knitting! They don't play with them more than carrying them about, and one's never been unraveled, so I think it's pretty safe.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I thought so.
Yes it is! And good for you for identifying hst it was crochet and not knitting! They don't play with them more than carrying them about, and one's never been unraveled, so I think it's pretty safe.
I wish I could crochet
When I was a kid my baby sitter taught me how to do cross stitching and tried teaching me how to crochet. I was able to make like pot holders but that was it. And now I don't remember how at all lol
I think that turtle is cute for sure!

As for your precious little lady, I think it will just take some time to get her belly to settle back on her food. I really blame them for switching her food on her. I dont understand why they would do that... Poor baby. Hopefully she will start feeling better soon and stop having tummy issues.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I thought so.
I'm with you on the food switch. Do you know if she was transitioned, or if it was an abrupt change?
I agree, that little turtle toy is cute and it has to be so fun watching them carrying them around. I'm still in the learning phases of knitting, and the ball of yarn has been almost completely ignored by my 3 senior cats, but my 3 year old Papillon dog is another story!