Sick Kitten 5/6wks Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toniko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had a kitten for about a week. Fed only formula. His bowel, as I am learning, apparently were never good/right (a yellow/orange watery consistency). Last night he cried all night and today has been lethargic and eating less. As the evening went on his stool is now more cream colored frothy textured(small quantity). He no longer rights himself when turned to his belly. We have no vet available for about 10 more hours. We need advice on sustaining him through the night. We have piperazone but have not given him any. Please!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T Toniko

Oh dear! He really needs an emergency vet. Is that a possibility?

Please give him clear pedialyte with a syringe or dropper. You can add a bit of honey to it for quick energy.

Has he been eating?

Keep him warm with a heat source such as a heating pad set on low under a blanket or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.

It sounds like he has coccidia and/or bacterial infection.

Poor kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Toniko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we lost him. it was so sudden one day he was active and lively, then today sleepy and tonight passed away in my arms. feeling so broken. Have 3 sweet kids to tell tomorrow. ((please no you should have; could haves--clearly hindsight is 20/20)) I just did not know how to delete the post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T Toniko

I'm so sorry. It happens very suddenly with kittens. It can be difficult to get on top of it.

You did your best, and he passed knowing love in your arms. Run free, sweet kitten! :rbheart:

With 3 children, you may want to adopt a healthy 8-week-old kitten from a shelter. It's kitten season, and there are so many who need homes. It may help your children and a kitten.

Thank you for the update. :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Toniko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've raised a few that young before over the years; he was in desperate need of a home so that is why we ended up with him so young. It was just pure stupidity on our part not to take him to the vet first thing. We got the wormer that said "do not give until 6 weeks old" and thought that as long as he looked healthy we would go then. "That's how we did it with the other kittens." One week from now Well; never again. If we get another kitten someday it will go straight to the vet.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
T Toniko the TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. :rbheart:

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect.
We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

RIP little one
:greenpaw: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :purplebutterfly: :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.