"sick" fur appearance

BilboGhandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
This is my first post! I wanted to ask a general health question about my two male (desexed) Bengals (ages 5&6).
Lately, I've noticed that some days one or recently both if them, have a mild sick fur appearance. You know the look cats get when they are unwell where it is tufty, oily, stands up etc.
They both seem perfectly fine though. And when taken to the vet for this reason, the urinalysis and pathology came back with creatinine levels at the highest end of normal. But being Bengals on a high protein diet (tins with no ingredients except meat, and then BARF sometimes too) - this I've read can be a normal result for an exotic breed on this type of diet.
I'm not sure this is something to worry about. Maybe their just grubby or getting old. I don't know. What do you think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think the creatinine level being high is likely due to the diet your cats are eating, but just something to monitor going forward. The 'grubby' appearance is probably not due to their age, as they are not really very old, but rather something they have in common - such as their diet.

As asked above - is each meal nutritionally complete? And how long have they been on this diet? Your comment: "tins with no ingredients except meat, and then BARF sometimes too" - sounds like it could mean that not all of what they eat contains the proper nutrients. I have also read that BARF diets can be nutritionally imbalanced; I have read where Alnutrin is sometimes used to ensure 'completeness'. This could explain the 'sick' fur appearance, as they could be lacking certain vitamins and minerals.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You said they did a urinalysis. Did that come back ok? When one of my raw fed (100% nutritionally balanced) males had unkempt fur, he had raised creatinine and a UTI. Didn't show any signs of a UTI like peeing outside the box, or straining or anything like that, so I was a little shocked, but that's what it was. I wouldn't have even taken him in to be seen except it was just so unusual that his fur wasn't "right".

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When a cat starts looking scruffy, that usually means that either their nutrition is off (maybe need some oils to improve coat condition?) or they don't feel good and don't want to groom. That's often why older cats tend to look that way. But since you say they act fine, I'd lean towards the nutrition. Might be good to take a can of their food to the vet and look at that together.