Sick cats

TobsandCheeny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an apartment with 4 cats . Two are my brothers and the other two are mine. His cats got sick a week ago throwing up and lethargic. They both recovered within 2-3 days. On Monday night (1/30) my male cat started throwing up, stopped eating and drinking after two days and is now groaning in pain all day, very lethargic. Now my other cat (female) is throwing up and slowing losing her appetite.
I’ve started to use a syringe to give my male cat food and water (which he doesn’t love but he also isn’t throwing it up).

I took my male to two different vets. First vet gave him fluids. Second vet did X-rays and tested for FIV/FIP (everything came back clear/normal). Then gave him antibiotics and steroids.

it’s now been over 24 hrs since steroids and antibiotics and he’s still in so much pain. I do plan on taking him back on Monday for more tests, but seeing him like this is just so scary.
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry your going through this. I’m going to give you a checklist - Did either Vet take blood or specialized tests that your waiting on the results, urine or fecal. Is there anything poisonous that they could get into - pills, anti freeze, weed they could mistake for catnip (sorry have to ask- not judging) any plants or essential oils. Have you checked expiration dates on their food. Is there anything new at all that’s been brought into your home. Are your cats indoor or outdoor with anything toxic within reach? Are the steroids and antibiotics shots or pills/liquid ? They steroids will kick in quickly, the antibiotics normally take a couple of days. Sorry for all the questions, you’ll probably get some more from other forum members!

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They didn't get into any cow's milk products did they? Cats are lactose intolerant as they get older and it can really make them sick. As long as he has been checked out and they didn't find any obvious problems, give supportive care such as encouraging water, having a cat heat pad to keep them warm, (or human heat pad on low covered with a light blanket) getting some lickable treats to tempt them to eat. i keep Delectable lickables in the stew flavors around for times such as these, even a few licks a day keeps them going. it takes about 48 hours for steroids/antibiotics to kick in, i pray they help.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobsandCheeny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry your going through this. I’m going to give you a checklist - Did either Vet take blood or specialized tests that your waiting on the results, urine or fecal. Is there anything poisonous that they could get into - pills, anti freeze, weed they could mistake for catnip (sorry have to ask- not judging) any plants or essential oils. Have you checked expiration dates on their food. Is there anything new at all that’s been brought into your home. Are your cats indoor or outdoor with anything toxic within reach? Are the steroids and antibiotics shots or pills/liquid ? They steroids will kick in quickly, the antibiotics normally take a couple of days. Sorry for all the questions, you’ll probably get some more from other forum members!
They didn’t do bloodwork either days I took him in, but they said if he hasn’t improved by monday then to bring him in to do bloodwork. They didn’t test urine or fecal either. There’s nothing poisonous in my apartment that they could have gotten into. Both my brother and I have racked our brains trying to figure out why all of our cats got sick. Foods aren’t expired. All cats are indoor cats except for the occasional 3rd floor balcony where they have no contact with other animals. Steroids/antibiotics were injections so that info is helpful. He’s actually up and moving today and trying to drink water, still not himself but he’s doing better.