Sick 3 Week Kitten Won’t Syringe Feed

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:think: Hmmm...usually, the mama cats mellow out as time goes on & those hormones become less intense but, but since she is a foster, it's hard to guess at her history. Is she getting enough calcium? maybe try adding some goat's milk or kmr to her diet. You could also try giving her some extra play time. In nature, she would be out hunting at this point (thank God she doesn't have to do that - it's heartbreaking when mama kitties get killed or injured, trying to make it on their own).
And a big hug & lots of scritches for your Golden Retriever dog - most Goldies that I have known absolutely adore kittens. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:think: Hmmm...usually, the mama cats mellow out as time goes on & those hormones become less intense but, but since she is a foster, it's hard to guess at her history. Is she getting enough calcium? maybe try adding some goat's milk or kmr to her diet. You could also try giving her some extra play time. In nature, she would be out hunting at this point (thank God she doesn't have to do that - it's heartbreaking when mama kitties get killed or injured, trying to make it on their own).
And a big hug & lots of scritches for your Golden Retriever dog - most Goldies that I have known absolutely adore kittens. :heartshape:
I hadn’t thought about her needing any more calcium. I’ll try adding some kmr in her canned food, thank you! I have played with her some and she definitely engages in the play for short periods of time.
I wish I knew her better to understand when it is aggression or when she is being needy or has pent up energy. She definitely meows at me a lot, and does seem to want to leave the bathroom I keep her and the kittens in. I feel bad, but I can’t give her free roam of the house with my golden retriever.
And thank you! My golden absolutely loves all animals including cats. He’s so confused at why he can’t visit with momma cat lol.

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try with feliway diffuser or spray.

Some relaxing music may help too. Classic calm music prrhaps harp music often best.
Thank you! I’ll give this a try if I can figure out a good way to play music in her room. And I actually have a diffuser for my dog that’s to help him relax (he has a slight fear of thunderstorms). I’ll look into whether it can be used for cats too

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll give this a try if I can figure out a good way to play music in her room. And I actually have a diffuser for my dog that’s to help him relax (he has a slight fear of thunderstorms). I’ll look into whether it can be used for cats too
Its probably different preparates! So it wont hurt her but not help either.

The idea is the same.

Feliway is made based on the feromones in cats face - what they rub off on you.

Dogs equivalent on mommas feromones...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could perhaps lock in the dog somewhere or even better let someone take a walk with him, and during the time let her stretch her legs?

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again everyone! Quick update: I’m still having some struggles with momma cat. I’ve tried letting her out of the room with my golden put away, which she was pretty timid about doing. She finally walked out and checked things out a little, but quickly returned to the bathroom. I find that interesting because earlier in the day she found a way to clear my barrier and leaped out on her own, but when given the opportunity to leave with the barrier gone she didn’t seem so keen on it lol.

I’ve tried some relaxing music-not sure I’ve seen much impact yet. I have not yet gotten a feline diffuser. Again, I would say 80% of the times I don’t have any aggression from her. And mostly it is when I am by the barrier to the bathroom or when I’m leaving the bathroom that she wants to leap up and attack me. I have worn gloves recently and while she mostly scratches, she definitely tried to bite my hand pretty hard :/ it makes getting in and out to care for the kittens much more burdensome, so trying not to be too frustrated by it all.

Also another quick question. I have put out a litter box for the kittens for almost a week now. They climb all over it and try to eat it, but still have not used it. Is this normal? Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes this kitten behavior is normal. As long as they nurse momma no other food, momma eats their wastes. So mo real need to use litterbox... I hope you use non clumping litter?

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this kitten behavior is normal. As long as they nurse momma no other food, momma eats their wastes. So mo real need to use litterbox... I hope you use non clumping litter?
Awesome thank you! And yes I am using non clumping litter :)

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
89BDF938-7851-4111-B197-64085190EB1D.jpeg
You could perhaps lock in the dog somewhere or even better let someone take a walk with him, and during the time let her stretch her legs?
Just wanted to show a picture of momma when I’m giving her some time be out of the bathroom. I have a screened in patio and she seems very content to relax out there. If I close her in to the bathroom she meows and scratches at the door (and carpet on the other side of the door) but if I put her alone in the patio area she seems very calm.
I wish I could leave her there with the kittens, but it’s not secure enough. And the temperature would definitely get too chilly.
Anyways, thank you for the advice about letting her get out and stretch her legs! I don’t know that it helps her be more relaxed when I put her back in the bathroom, but it does allow her to be happy for a time and me to socialize with her babies without worrying about being attacked.

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again everyone! My kittens are 5 weeks old now. Everyone is doing pretty well. They are all active, their eyes are almost completely healed and they seem to be appropriate weights. I also seemed to have worked out a system for momma cat to stretch her legs in my screened in patio so I haven’t been attached in several days. :)

A few more questions I would appreciate any insight for. One: my momma cat has a different litter box (in a laundry basket where babies can’t reach it) with clumping litter. Do her and the babies need to share the litter box for her to teach them how to use it? The one I am using for the kittens is way too small for momma. So far they still aren’t using the litter box, but I think they are beginning to go to the bathroom some on their own.

Secondly: I have mentioned before that I have a golden retriever. He has some energy to him, but is very well trained and wouldn’t hurt a fly. I wanted to get the kittens around him to help them adjust to a dog. So far they have been completely separated. Momma cat would attack him like crazy if she saw him and could get to him. She has tried twice when she saw him past the barrier.
I put momma cat away and brought out my golden retriever around the kittens. They were terrified of him. I was a little surprised, since I thought I was starting them out pretty young, but I guess those natural instincts are strong. One of my kittens even hissed and swatted at me after I put the dog away. I got him calmed down again but felt bad. I don’t know how to proceed. I don’t want to terrify them, but I think it would help them get adopted if they were comfortable with a dog. Any suggestions?

Also, anything else you recommend I put them around/ get them used to to help them do well in their future adopted homes?

Thank you!