Siberian Kitten - 8 Week Weaned And Not Eating Well

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
My family is new to cats. I finally have been worned down by my children and so we will now be a cat family. A prospect that I'm actually very excited about :)

We have decided on the Siberian cats breed and we have found a local registered breeder. She has one kitten available (7 week old). We just saw the kitten and it was Soo cute. The kitten was alert and cautious, seemed normal. She showed the kitten with its sister that was sold because it helps keeps them calm and prevents "crying". It took a little while but I noticed the sister was bigger.

The breeder advised that mine was slightly underweight and that the sister was slightly above average. Therefore making it more noticeable.

The breeder advised that my kitten is having a hard time dealing with the weaning process. She is currently feeding with medicine dropper. She stated that this happens every other litter and that because the kitten is healthy in every other way she is likely having a hard time accepting the weaning and transition to solid food similar to human babies. But she should come around. She stated that she would not give me a kitten unless it was absolutely good to go and would hold it longer if necessary or if it was failing would not sell it at all.

For arguments sake let's take the breeder at her word. I feel comfortable with her and she is very candid about the process. She has a good reviews and has been doing this for a long time since 2002. Her contract comes with all the guarantees.

My question is the following: is this a red flag? Is this just part of the variability expected with kitten weaning and as long in the end she is on solid food and eating normal, gaining weight - all is good. Or Should I say no and wait for the next available litter or look elsewhere.

We are prepared to leave a deposit for pickup in 2 to 3 weeks.

My cat is on the right side of the photo. See what I mean soon cute!

Anthony

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this kitten may need a bit more time, and should not leave mom until a minimum of 10 weeks.

Were these kittens taken outside of the breeder’s home to show you?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable!

My question is: why is the kitten being fed by a dropper at 7 weeks old? Why is she not still with the mother?

Kittens need to stay with their mothers for at least 10-12 weeks. Many breeders will not let them go until 16 weeks.

This is disturbing to me. The kittens should not be separated from their mother yet, and this is probably why the kitten is not eating well.

The breeder may be pushing the boundaries of ethical breeding if she is weaning too early so that the mother is available to mate again and produce another litter as quickly as possible.

You are correct to be concerned. This IS a red flag about the breeder’s methods and priorities. But the kitten will most likely be okay. She’s just not ready to fully wean yet, and being forced to is not right.

A Anthony68

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It all sounds normal to me. Some kittens just don't like weaning as much as others. I am midly curious why they aren't letting Mom wean the kittens. The ideal is to let Mom wean and keep kittens with Mom until 12 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Kira - We did see the cat outside the home. We have pictures of the mother with her kitten. The breeder cited security reasons due to past bad experiences. She is on the outskirts of an urban area.

Thanks Sarthur2 - She said the mother has weaned them off ( I believe ). She did not forced separate them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk?

Its always a good supplement as this kitten is a yellow alert flag on.

But he sjould be a good and nice family cat.
One idea though: consider having two cats.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anthony68, I'm curious what country are you located in? Are you in the US?

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Stefanz, The breeder is looking after all the feeding with all the appropriate products. She won't be released to me until completely on solid food vet check vaccinated, dewormed. I will receive pedigree papers as well for After I spay.

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: So I've confirmed with the breeder. The mother's milk has run dry at approx 6 weeks after birth and she has been hand feeding it special formula. Her sibling is doing well above average in weight however oursis still low. We are now at the 8 week mark and the kittens weight is 1lb 7.6 oz which is low. A week ago she was 1lb 3.8 oz. The kittens are still with the mother and are now off formula. No one is rushing to remove the cat. So we'll just sit tight and get another update in a week.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, the little one was being supplemented with formula because it was taking longer to get used to eating solid food. When you say the kittens are now off formula, I'm assuming you mean they are all eating solid food. The smaller one may start to catch up now that she is eating. At what age did the breeder say the kittens will be ready to be placed in their new homes?

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, the little one was being supplemented with formula because it was taking longer to get used to eating solid food. When you say the kittens are now off formula, I'm assuming you mean they are all eating solid food. The smaller one may start to catch up now that she is eating. At what age did the breeder say the kittens will be ready to be placed in their new homes?
Yes, they are all on solid food. She says on her website 11 weeks. She told me it all depends on the kitten. She has held some back for longer and let some go at 10 weeks.

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: we have the kitten now for a couple of months and she is growing beautifully. Things having been going so well that we opted to get another Siberian kitten, albeit from another breeder.
They are two months apart. Our first kitten's name is Tiki and the new one is loki. Unfortunately the integration has not been going as smoothly as I'd hope. However I will leave that for another post.

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No the vet would like to do it at 6 months. Around the end of September.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. You won't want to push much past then, since you have adopted a male who might respond to her going into heat. There is no benefit to waiting until 6 months; the recommendation is 2 months or 2 pounds from many vets.

Anthony68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, they are both females. It wasn't the intention but nonetheless is the end result Loki was supposed to be male.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why wait till 6 months? At that age they'll most likely go through a heat cycle, 5 months would be the latest I would want to wait till.