Shy Cat

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescued Ailish in 8/2016. She was then about a year old (according to my vet) and just finished raising a litter. Allegedly she was turned in to a kill shelter because her owner died. She was pregnant at the time, so I suspect other motives.

Anyway, she and the babies were fostered by a rescue until I came along looking for a non-kitten but still youngish black cat. I got my bedroom set up for her and brought her home. She hid behind my cabinet for about 2 months. She came out at night and to eat, she was a bit underweight when I got her. She would also come out if coaxed because despite her scaredness she LOVES to be petted. Generally my idea was to take things at her pace and that's what we did.

After a very long time she would leave the room and even go downstairs briefly during the day. She is now very loving (to me) and opinionated. She will lie on me for hours when we read at night, but does not like to be picked up. She loves her cat tree and to be brushed. She has nests in other upstairs rooms, is a total climber and a stone killer when it comes to small furry creatures and long skinny reptiles. The house is quiet, it's only my mother and I, and there is also a dachshund who moved in the same day she did. I work all day and my mother is in and out. She makes overtures to dog, but the dog ignores her. During the night, she's a vampire, she is all over downstairs, but during the day she rarely comes down except when it's mealtime and she wants to remind me of that. She remains afraid of all strangers.

The reason this bothers me is that I feel like she's scared all the time and I wonder if she's happy. I mean, she jumps under the bed if I crinkle a bag and jumps at any noise that is unusual. Weirdly, the one thing that doesn't faze her is the ear-splittingly yappy dog. She doesn't blink when the dog goes off. I look at her sleeping in her nest in the closet while I'm doing things on a weekend, and I think "Why does my cat feel she needs to sleep in a closet all day?" I don't ever try to coax her to do anything. If she's happy, I'm good. I love her the way she is, but I just hope she's not running around under stress. She's been with me for a year and a half. Will she get more outgoing still, or is this her personality. If other people have cats like this, do you feel like they are stressed?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, having lived with a fearful semi feral cat for the last seven years. At first I assumed with patience and love she would evolve to a relaxed happy “normal” cat but still every morning when I give her her breakfast she needs to hide in the basement for a while and then I need to be seated a distance away from her food bowls before she will eat. And of course at the slightest noise, or anything out of ordinary she heads for one of her many hiding spaces.

It took me several years to accept there was nothing I could do to change who she is or how she reacts, but sometimes it still makes me feel bad or a little guilty. But to answer your question, I think both your cat and mine are happy. They are warm, cared for and given as much affection as they will accept. They have things that entertain them and safe places to go when they are nervous. They are leading good lives, better than they would have had anywhere else. They know it and we should know it as well.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats all have their own personalities, it doesn't mean they are not as happy as can be, some are just shy. my 4 rule the house, and they know it...lol but they are still afraid if strangers come over, they hide. only one of mine will allow me to pick him up. 3 love pets, and 1 wants them on her terms, occasionally. i think they all feel safe and secure, but to sleep they are either in bed with us, or they nest up in a safe spot. as she gets older, and has been with you longer she will most likely get less skittish, and a bit more outgoing, but she may just be that type of cat. love her for who she is, im betting she is happy :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your encouragement and experiences. She seems happy, but then I see her in the closet and I wonder. She does sleep on the bed at times during the night. Mainly staring at her automatic feeder waiting for it to go dispense at 2:15a!