Showering without permission

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I am on my own during the days, I have figured out how to do things for myself since I am on crutches. One of these activities is taking a shower.

When I am preparing for a shower, there are no cats in sight. Once I am in the shower, Marcie comes into the bathroom pawing at the shower door and yowling.

When I shut the water off and reach around for a towel, guess who jumps in, loudly reproaching me and inspecting the tub. I get yowled at until I am dry and dressed.

I have been taught that I need a chaperone any time that I enter the bathroom, but why do I deserve this treatment when I bathe? Marcie isn't even getting wet.

Does anyone else get harassed about bathing?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get harassed if we try and lock anyone out of the bathroom. Franklin beats on the door to get in, Fatman does the same thing, GiGi tries to fit under the gap between the door and floor and Hercules awaits the opening of the door by sitting on the washer!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that too. Last time I locked Gus out of the bathroom for a long shower he pooped on my bed.
Finn is usually the one to sit on the tub and supervise though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, nor DH, can use the bathroom in peace. Sherman or Siri will paw and kick at the door - or worse, Siri will be outside the door and the other cats will want to investigate and she'll growl and yell over it (grumpy girl with space issues). Whenever I go to take a shower I have to hurry and shut the bathroom door, otherwise I'll have to evict Tomas. Once I'm in the shower the noise and time waiting usually makes them lose interest.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Despite successfully using the bathroom without misshap for over three decades, I too am not allowed to go by myself. The cat seems merely curious at this point but my border collie s convinced that I could at any moment fall into the toilet and drown. When I bath I think she is just amazed I willingly go into the bath in the first place and I think I am being observed in case I am suffering from insanity.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Squeak is fascinated by water. She will stand by the shower door until I get out. Then she wants in to check it out for herself. She also watches every time I brush my teeth or wash my face at the sink. She is weird.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours don't necessarily supervise the process of showering, but they certainly make their opinions known during the drying process -- as in "Well, if you insist on going in the rain, you WILL get wet -- silly human! If you'd only learn to clean yourself properly with your tongue!
" -- usually with demonstration.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Ours don't necessarily supervise the process of showering, but they certainly make their opinions known during the drying process -- as in "Well, if you insist on going in the rain, you WILL get wet -- silly human! If you'd only learn to clean yourself properly with your tongue!
" -- usually with demonstration.
My cat has already given up on the idea that humans have the smarts to behave properly and my dog has too. As far as the dog is concerned, I'm not even potty trained since I don't go outside to do my business. The cat think my litter box looks rather scary with a pool of water in the bottom and all.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week ago I was at home alone. A rare event. I decided to have a nice hot bubble bath. I was well supervised by 2 cats and 2 dogs.

darkimager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a standing rule growing up that anyone entering any bathroom for any reason was to turn on the faucet for a cool sip of water. And then we were to be supervised for the rest of our 'visit to their watering hole" Hehe..once Sam, as a new kitten in our house, sat on the edge of the tub to 'watch me' shower and fell in.
she wasn't too happy and stayed away from the edge from there on out

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... those are some cute stories. Sho doesnt care what I do in the bathroom. He has absolutely no interest. My pigeon Blanca, on the other hand, freaks out whenever I leave her alone when she's out. If I happen to be taking a shower, she NEEDS to be in the bathroom with me. Or at the very least, the door needs to be open so she can go in and out. If not, she'll fly at the door or peck at it until I open it.

silverandzephyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Silver loves the water. He even stays still whilst being bathed....after playing in an unflushed toilet... Whenever i get in the bath he bats at the water, tries to jump in, etc.

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fae always follows me and my hubby to be to the bathroom. No matter WHAT we are doing in there she is there. She will run in, fling the door open (it has to be closed in a very precise way to catch otherwise it can be pushed open) and if im using the "human litter box" i get hit right in the knee with the door. Otherwise she sits on the mantal outside of the shower to wait for me to get out. She seems to enjoy kitty showers too. Kitty showers being her getting into something, being sprayed by the water bottle, repeating until sufficently soaked, then sitting and grooming herself to perfection. darn cat. lol

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I once had a foxie puppy who would cry everytime I left her, even to shower. The only way to get her to shut up, was to have her in the shower with me.

That was a sight to behold... a tiny puppy, sitting in between my feet, shivering from the downpoor of water... but she prefered that to not being near me, because if I lifted her out, the crying would start again and she'd try her best to try and get back in with me.

As for my cats, well, my cats are wary around me showering. Having so many, including ones who really do not like water and ones who don't like me or human contact, I've discovered a novel way to bathe them. I strip off, take them into my walk in shower. Close the shower door. The fun starts.

Basically, I shower with the cats, and they hate it because they can't escape. But, it works. My hands don't get tired and my bathroom stays clean. I also get less scratches, less bites, and can shower and clean even the meanest kitty.

cassielainie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when hobbes was a baby, right after she came to live with me, she hated to be alone.. so i learned really quickly that if i didn't leave the bathroom door open while i was in the bath, she'd sit outside and meow till i let her in..
one day i was having a particularly relaxing bubble bath, and hobbes wandered in and went to jump on the side of the tub.. but she jumped too far and ended up IN the tub..
of course, she got mad at ME.. lol..
but after that, she never came in the bathroom when i was bathing again.