Should I take semi- feral cat when I move?

Smellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
I desperately need advice please.
I know nothing about cats. But a semi feral cat which belonged to our village pub ( the owners moved away) adopted me about a year ago. The day our dog died. He hasn’t left the garden!!
I started to feed him and he ended up sleeping on my bed and in chair through out the day.
He must have an exit out of the house so my bedroom window was permanently left open!!!
He now allows me to pick him up for a short period

I’ve had to move about 5 miles away to a small house but before I left I made the shed a luxury room for him. Plus my neighbors feed him twice a day. They have a large dog so can’t have him. I supply his food etc.

The house I’ve moved to have a high fenced large garden but my new neighbours have a large German shepherd dog that is constantly roaming their land.
The winter is coming. The cat is about 14. Should I bring him with me?
He’s fine at the moment as it’s summer!!
I need advice as to what to do that is best for him!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
There are definitely two sides to this, one where he's getting up there in years and a move would be stressful for him.

The other is that he's getting up in years, winter is coming, and moving is stressful for any cat :)

I would move him, keep him inside during the winter which should be a little easier to do since he shouldn't be all that interested in going outside. I realize you have a high fence, but a determined cat can get up and over. Also, note that if you do move him, you'll need to keep him inside for at least three weeks anyway, so that he acclimates to his new location and doesn't try to go back to the other place.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several other things to consider:
Which house does the shed belong to? Do you own it? If not, might the owner someday decide to use it for something other than a home for this kitty?
Will the neighbors get tired of feeding this guy? And what if they move?
Will you lose any sleep worrying about him, if you don't take him along?

If you do move him to your new home (I hope you will :)) collect some towels or blankets that he's slept on in his shed, and take them along unlaundered. That way there will be a few things that smell familiar to him in his new place.

My husband and I have had to move many times over the years. We always took our indoor/outdoor cats with us. The trips were sometimes interesting - twice on an airplane, and a few times in a car through several states - but I don't recall any particular problems once we got to our new homes. As Furballsmom Furballsmom recommends, we always kept them inside for a while.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed with all but also: if he’s gonna be an indoor kitty, I’d scour your home for any escape routes, no matter how small. Also, I don’t care how high the fence is, that German Shepherd already has me worried. Not anti dog here, just protective of your kitty. You’ve already got a bond: keep going.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
I desperately need advice please.
I know nothing about cats. But a semi feral cat which belonged to our village pub ( the owners moved away) adopted me about a year ago. The day our dog died. He hasn’t left the garden!!
I started to feed him and he ended up sleeping on my bed and in chair through out the day.
He must have an exit out of the house so my bedroom window was permanently left open!!!
He now allows me to pick him up for a short period

I’ve had to move about 5 miles away to a small house but before I left I made the shed a luxury room for him. Plus my neighbors feed him twice a day. They have a large dog so can’t have him. I supply his food etc.

The house I’ve moved to have a high fenced large garden but my new neighbours have a large all my German shepherd dog that is constantly roaming their land.
The winter is coming. The cat is about 14. Should I bring him with me?
He’s fine at the moment as it’s summer!!
I need advice as to what to do that is best for him!!
All my indoor cats are microchipped incase they ever get outside. My friend took a cat that lived at my apt complex for 2 year to her new place an hour away. After 2 weeks of being outside,he ran away. Next days horrible storm.never seen again. Very sad. Build a
Secure inclosure,no fence will help. I'm assuming her cat tried to go back to my apartment complex where his bff stray cat was. Hopefully someone took him in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd take him and try the suggestions I can above 😉
Which house does the shed belong to? Do you own it? If not, might the owner someday decide to use it for something other than a home for this kitty?

If you do move him to your new home (I hope you will :)) collect some towels or blankets that he's slept on in his shed, and take them along unlaundered. That way there will be a few things that smell familiar to him in his new place.

My husband and I have had to move many times over the years. We always took our indoor/outdoor cats with us. The trips were sometimes interesting - twice on an airplane, and a few times in a car through several states - but I don't recall any particular problems once we got to our new homes. As Furballsmom Furballsmom recommends, we always kept them inside for a while.
In addition to the suggestions above, can you build or buy a catio/cat enclosure for him at your new location? It could enable him to become more acclimated to your new home, give him some space outside, and allow him access to the inside of your home when it gets cold. He is too old NOT to be taken by you and cared for.
Cat Enclosures - TheCatSite
Building A Cat Enclosure: A Creative Project for Cat Lovers - TheCatSite
In addition to the suggestions above, can you build or buy a catio/cat enclosure for him at your new location? It could enable him to become more acclimated to your new home, give him some space outside, and allow him access to the inside of your home when it gets cold. He is too old NOT to be taken by you and cared for.
Cat Enclosures - TheCatSite
Building A Cat Enclosure: A Creative Project for Cat Lovers - TheCatSite

thanks for advice.. I need to hear all of the pros and cons. I’d bring him in a heartbeat. But I feel I’m putting him in a dangerous situation. With the dog!!! Keeping him in when he loves to be outside. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I change my mind 10 times a day!! Taking him out of his territory!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone. I’m so grateful for your advice. 🙏🏻

Sorayachina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Devils advocate. You could just leave it.’sounds like it’s fine living outside . I think it’ll be stressed out if you make him an indoor cat . You can visit to see how it’s doing and bring snacks . He’ll maybe remember you and come up to say hello

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Devils advocate. You could just leave it.’sounds like it’s fine living outside . I think it’ll be stressed out if you make him an indoor cat . You can visit to see how it’s doing and bring snacks . He’ll maybe remember you and come up to say hello
You do run the risk that the new person in your old home won't like cats. He knows to visit that house.

Best case, they trap him and take him to a shelter where he might be euthanized. Worst case, they don't like cats and poison him or otherwise harm him. There's a myriad of other options in between. All those would stress him too. (Had it happen to our indoor-outdoor cats in my childhood. I don't auto-trust that people will be good to cats.)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best case, they trap him and take him to a shelter where he might be euthanized. Worst case, they don't like cats and poison him or otherwise harm him. There's a myriad of other options in between. All those would stress him too. (Had it happen to our indoor-outdoor cats in my childhood. I don't auto-trust that people will be good to cats.)
Great post! 👍

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My brother had the exact same dilemma with a skittish outdoor cat he'd taken care of for many years. I told him I'd be mad at him if he just left the cat, so he managed to get it into a carrier and took him to his new home. Kitty adapted beautifully to being an indoor cat and never even tried to get outside. You have a relationship with your kitty and he knows you as his person and feels safe with you, wherever it is. You got this!