Should I Take A Feral Cat Home Or Release It Back Outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyfan101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@foxxycat Charlie is such a friendly boy, I've never heard him hiss other than the time that we had to trap him. So friendly in fact the vet thought he would be a good choice for adoption if we didn't want to take him in. The only problem is convincing my mom to have him come in the house. I understand that she doesn't like cleaning up cat vomit, and worries about cleaning up more with Charlie but since he's a part of our family it would be great thing to have a 3rd cat into our home.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he already been neutered, or is he awaiting an appointment? Do you still have him in a cage, and if so, how is he dealing with that? If he has already been neutered, and If your dad is able to pet him, perhaps you can release him back outside until your family has made a decision, and then bring him inside if your mother agrees. If he is friendly and your dad can pet him, he can likely get him into a pet carrier to bring inside if that is what your family decides. Right now he is probably miserable living in a cage.

Also, I don't understand the concern about cat vomit. If your cats are all young and healthy, there shouldn't be too many occasions for vomiting. You may have to add another litter box, but as long as you commit to scooping it out a few times a day, I'm not sure how that should matter greatly either.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats shouldn't vomit too often. If they do, you can try hairball treats or paste, adjust their diet, brush them, keep carpets vacuumed if you have long hair. Using clumping litter and keeping it deep enough should help keep the house clean and smelling good.

kittyfan101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M maggiedemi they don't vomit often but sometimes my mom likes to put flowers and hang them and my cat sometimes will eat them when we're not looking, or sometimes after they eat they throw up.

kittyfan101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
msaimee msaimee the cat is already neutered and has all of his shots. He's not in the cage, he's in the garage and we need to leave him there for a few days until we can release him. So far, I haven't heard my mom agree to having Charlie in the house. So it seems that my family wants to release him outside and perhaps bring him into the house until my other 2 cats get adjusted to him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of flowers? A lot of flowers and plants are poisonous to cats, especially lilies.

kittyfan101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@maggledemi I would have to check which ones they are, I want to say they are wisterias, but I'm not sure