Should I see a vet for this?

Talmagetab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am a first time cat owner here and my cat has what appears to be a carpet burn on his carpal pad. There are little blood stains throughout the carpet in my house and I first noticed it day before yesterday. The scab tears off when he starts zooming around the carpet playing. I’ve only ever had dogs, so normally if it was one of my border collies I would wrap it but the cat is proving to be difficult. I attached photos of the wound and the cat because he is my pride and joy. I’ve only had him a week though. Any advice on what I should do is appreciated

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am a first time cat owner here and my cat has what appears to be a carpet burn on his carpal pad. There are little blood stains throughout the carpet in my house and I first noticed it day before yesterday. The scab tears off when he starts zooming around the carpet playing. I’ve only ever had dogs, so normally if it was one of my border collies I would wrap it but the cat is proving to be difficult. I attached photos of the wound and the cat because he is my pride and joy. I’ve only had him a week though. Any advice on what I should do is appreciated
He is a beauty and looks like a snow bengal maybe? I would see a dvm for that if it were me to figure out what caused it and how to treat it etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talmagetab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a beauty and looks like a snow bengal maybe? I would see a dvm for that if it were me to figure out what caused it and how to treat it etc.
Thank you! Yes he is a Bengal. And I made an appointment with the vet but since it’s not a “life threatening emergency” they can’t get him in until April 28th. So maybe I’ll try calling back and letting them know I’m concerned about infection since the wound doesn’t have time to heal before he plays and rips the scab off.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes he is a Bengal. And I made an appointment with the vet but since it’s not a “life threatening emergency” they can’t get him in until April 28th. So maybe I’ll try calling back and letting them know I’m concerned about infection since the wound doesn’t have time to heal before he plays and rips the scab off.
Yes definitely let them know this is an open wound that could be infected, they should see him asap. Ask if there is a safe ointment you can put on his paw to seal it until you can bring him in. Maybe you can also try wrapping it with the sticky self adhering wrap if you can get some, I know my cats would prolly remove it somehow but it’s worth a try.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely tell them it is an open wound and you are too worried about infection to wait a month. They may be picturing some mild skin irritation. He is clearly an extremely well cared for cat, and gorgeous, but he is rambunctious enough to do that kind of damage to himself on the carpet?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy!

All I can suggest in the meantime is to dress it, then wrap it with an elastic bandage and bind that with some tape. He'll just love that, I'm certain. You'll have to dress it every couple of days, assuming he doesn't tear it off, and it will probably heal before the vet appointment.

There's always Bag Balm that you can put on the wound. It's available at Tractor Supply Co. stores or something like that. They have a website and it's available on Amazon too. It's about the gentlest antiseptic made, originally to soothe the teats of lactating milk cattle.