Should I rehome my cats?

anonymoous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn’t sure which forum to put this under so hopefully this one works.
Should I rehome my cats?

Before I start this I just want to clarify these are my family cats I’m talking about so I really have no control over it because technically they’re my parents cats, but I’m the one who cares for them (as much as I can) and I really love them but I’ve started thinking after three years of having them that maybe the best thing to do is rehome them.

Sorry in advance if this post is a little long I feel like there’s so much I have to explain. Basically my family ever since I was born has had cats. We previously had two cats who passed away and they lived to their mid-late teen years which I guess is good? But only recently have I began to realize how bad my family mistreats their pets. They almost never went to the vet, for most of my childhood they weren’t even fed on a regular basis (they were outdoor cats and my parents expected them to fend for themselves), one of them had a terrible tapeworm infection and my parents tried to treat it once but it didn’t work so they gave up and never did anything about it again. He also got hit by a car and my parents did nothing except let him sleep inside for the night and give him a bowl of milk for comfort and he always had body pains and my parents never did anything about it. My other cat had a problem with eye infections her whole life until eventually she lost her whole eye and again my parents never did anything except they tried to give her prescription eye drops for pink eye !! Also side note for even more context I also had a childhood dog and when she got sick I saw the signs that it could be fatal and I fought and fought for my parents to take her to the vet but they didn’t do anything ( except my dad used his prescription inhaler on her wth!!) and she died a week later.

Back to my cats, the one died from I’m assuming old age-we’ll never know because my parents didn’t take her to the vet, and shortly after, the other one went missing and we haven’t seen him since (he was acting really weird after she died and they lived together their whole lives). I feel horrible and like I could have and should have done more for them but it’s too late now. However my family adopted two more feral kittens and for the past three years they’ve been our pets. I’m a lot more involved with them: I feed them everyday, I check them for injuries and I try as best I can to take care of any wounds, I also bring them inside I don’t care what my parents say anymore and they sleep in my room a lot. They’ve been spayed, vaccinated and microchipped, but they haven’t gone to the vet since they were kittens and I think they’re overdue for some shots. I told my parents and they’re refusing to take them (I don’t have money or transportation to do so, also once again legally these are my parents cats). Side note my parents can afford to take them to the vet they’re choosing not to because they don’t think it’s necessary. Also they have a terrible problem with fleas because I can only really bring them inside at night or at times when my dad isn’t around so they spend a lot of time outside and I’ve tried to use flea drops but it made one of my cats go bald where I put it on so I don’t really want to use it, and even if I wash them they just get reinfested and I don’t know what to do. It’s like as long as they’re living here they’re going to suffer. Also they get in cat fights a lot because one of our neighbors has a cat that fights with them over territory in our yard and not to mention all the feral cats around here. Also one of them recently had a terrible leg injury where she was constantly in pain and couldn’t walk on it at all for over a week and during that time she went missing for a few days and I seriously thought I lost her. I was crying and begging to my parents to take her to the vet, but they just don’t care. Arguing with them has been a waste of time they don’t hear or care about anything I have to say, and I feel completely hopeless because I don’t want these cats to have a miserable life, and I feel like as long as they live with this family they will. I feel bad because this is their home and I have a relationship with them and I feel like maybe they’ll miss me like I’ll miss them. They trust me so much and I feel so horrible because I should be doing more for them and I want to be able to give them a better life but at this point I don’t think it’s possible.

I can come to terms with having to be apart from them so they can live a better life but here’s the problem: my parents don’t want to give them up. For years ever since we got them my parents held them over my head because they knew I cared about them. Whenever I would argue with them or they would get mad at me they would threaten to take them away. Finally I’ve realized that maybe that’s the best option, and now my parents are refusing. They are saying that they’re the new family cats, that I have no say over what happens to them, and that they’re going to live out the rest of their lives on this property. A rage room wouldn’t be enough for me to take out all the anger I have for my parents. They continually mistreat them, say that they don’t want or care about them, express their disgust for them and neglect them but now when it comes to giving them up they suddenly matter? You don’t have a right to want them !!

I can’t move on with my life knowing these cats will be left with these people. Maybe some people will think I’m over exaggerating the mistreatment of them but I know they deserve better and I’m going to make sure they have a healthy life. I guess I’m just asking for advice because I feel clueless. I don’t know how to get them away from my parents, or where to take them. The shelter is probably the fastest and best option (I mean at least they’ll be safe from harm and not have to worry about medical neglect), but again if my parents are refusing I don’t know how to do it.

If you read through this whole thing thank you for caring, I was debating whether or not to post this because I just feel stupid about it all, but I have nowhere else to go. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice on what to do I would really appreciate it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
First off, I have to ask how old you are, if you don’t mind. It will have allot to do with my answer.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for asking.

There is nothing that you can do to change how your family views cats. Sadly, in my experience, people don't change unless they want to. So trying to get them to do anything and expecting that they might, is unrealistic at best. I know it is frustrating.

Are you working? Because the only way to get them the proper care they need is going to be for you to pay for it. I assume you are living at home. Because if you had your own place, I am sure the cats would already be with you. So, being outdoor cats isn't ideal. But you do the best you can. I think at minimum they need to have annual exams and vaccines. They need to have food and access to clean water. They need flea control. I like the original revolution, not the plus for outdoor cats. They need that applied monthly.

So, you asked about rehoming them. The problem is that rehoming adult cats is very hard. You have to be extremely careful who they are adopted to. There are some horrible people out there. In my area, shelters, humane societies and rescues as well as animal control are all full. They are even having clear the shelter weeks where they don't ever charge for any animals adopted out. Real bad idea, I think. In my area, when cats come in that are considered "community cats." they are being put back on the street in the area they were picked up at. Also bad idea. So, finding a place for them to go where they will be safe and not euthanized, would be very hard, I think. Most people who want cats have cats. Sometimes you get lucky, but you have to be so careful.

The other thing is that your parents will most likely get another couple of kittens to neglect. It is a very difficult situation that you are in and I wish I could advise you how to handle it with a great outcome, but I can't,

When considering veterinary care, if you don't have the money, sometimes you can work off a cat's bill, or do work prior to their bill. Veterinarians are usually (in my experience) kind people and are often looking for help at the hospital. Sometimes you just have to get in the door and talk to them. Often it will take several tries before you find one that will work with you.

You mentioned not having transportation. Would your parents let you use a care? Any friends that could drive you?

Just try to take things one step at a time and do the best you can. That is all you can do.

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Holy hell. Yes, your parents might be okay people, but this is a sizable moral deficit. I think people are complex, but I think it's very mature of you to recognize this at a young age. That said, re-home the cats. That sounds like a terrible existence.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Silent Meowlook. They will just end up getting more cats . Its obviously been going on for a long time. I am sorry your family's neglect is now your responsibility, at least with you this was not learned behavior and you realize it is very wrong.
I would try to get them to the vet if you can . Maybe there is a program near you that will help with the vet costs, but that may open up another can of worms.
What about a tech school that has a vet program? Usually those are let expensive than a vet office.

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I can appreciate the whole "it will just be different cats suffering" thing, for me, my l animals are family, and that is how I took that young person to feel about their cats. And when you really love someone, sometimes the most compassionate decision for the individuals is something that is unfair for others. And I understand loving someone that much, and thinks it's good to have that loyalty. I understand not everyone holds my views, and that makes the world more interesting, IMHO.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would re-home the cats out if love.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I can appreciate the whole "it will just be different cats suffering" thing, for me, my l animals are family, and that is how I took that young person to feel about their cats. And when you really love someone, sometimes the most compassionate decision for the individuals is something that is unfair for others. And I understand loving someone that much, and thinks it's good to have that loyalty. I understand not everyone holds my views, and that makes the world more interesting, IMHO.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would re-home the cats out if love.
Hi. The problem is, rehome them where? They also are not the OP’s cats to rehome. Although I don’t think there would be any consequences for the OP if she did. But where are there good solid trustworthy people that want adult cats. They could wind up in a worse situation.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A anonymoous this is a difficult situation and I think you might have to think of it as a "for now" situation and then work towards a better solution in the future.

Are you planning to stay at your parents home for the foreseeable future? Are you working or in school?

If you are going to be there you could continue to care for these cats to the best of your ability. The fact that they have been spayed and vaccinated is huge. Lots of people care for feral cats and making sure they are fixed and have had their shots, even if only once, is about as much as can be done in many cases. So your cats are better off than a lot of feral cats because at least they can come inside sometimes. Let's take that as a positive.

While you are at home you can make sure the cats are regularly fed. You can get a better flea treatment for them. The cheaper over-the-counter treatments aren't the best, but you can get something like Revolution, Frontline or Advantage online.

If you can get a part time job it will give you a little extra money to put away for vet care, and in the future you can think about moving out and taking the cats with you.

It's not perfect, but I think it might be your best option for now.

:hugs:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you working? Are you planning on moving because in your post you said "I can’t move on with my life knowing these cats will be left with these people." If you are planning on moving would you be able to take them with you? If I was in your shoes and I had a chance to move and take them with me I would do it in a heartbeat..
Do your parents do anything at all for them? Feeding, watering, providing any type of outside shelter? If the answer is no then you are absolutely correct, they don't deserve to have them in their lives. Cats are not just something to have and not care for. If that is the kind of animal they wanted (an easy animal that requires no responsibility on their part) then they should have gotten a couple of cute stuffed animal cats... they don't deserve any kind of living pet. Cats, or any animal for that matter, needs love, and attention. They depend on us to protect them, feed and water them, keep them safe and healthy.. etc they really are a part of the family.

I know you have a lot on your mind and are trying to figure out what to do. This is why I'm asking if you are planning on moving any time soon and if you have a job?

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. The problem is, rehome them where? They also are not the OP’s cats to rehome. Although I don’t think there would be any consequences for the OP if she did. But where are there good solid trustworthy people that want adult cats. They could wind up in a worse situation.
OP's parents have no real attachment, and I doubt OP is dumb enough to offer them up to any Craigslist drunk that stumbles in. OP likely has friends, trusted teachers, etc. People don't learn in a vacuum, and I think I'm going to extend some trust to OP. Again, I would re-home animals I love in OP's shoes.