Should I help this dog?

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a sweet lab that needs help. He owners can't care for her anymore. She is seven. She has lived with her same family her whole life. She also lives with cats and children and is good with both. I feel a connection to the dog but is getting her fair to my cats? I don't want them to be upset or uncomfortable. Also, I know the dog will be sad to leave her family....how long will it take her to adjust? Any thoughts are appreciated.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for thinking about this poor dog.  At seven, she's a senior citizen, so she might have a little trouble adjusting.  Labs are so easy going, however, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's a bonus that she's used to cats.  Introducing them slowly will definitely help.

karrecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is wonderful that you have considered taking her in. Any updates? 

Patience is the key when doing dog-to-cat introductions. There's a lot of helpful threads about it here, as well as an article that many people refer to when introducing dogs and cats: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

It's a plus that she's already lived with cats before- that means she must have at least tolerated them. Slow introductions are still in order, though.

Please keep us updated!