Should I Heed My Kitten's Pleas For More And More Foo

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kenna was born Sep 3rd, and has been with us 2 weeks now. She bounces off the walls and attacks us in bed like a typical kitten.

During that period I started out feeding her around three quarters of a can of Fancy Feast Kitten food split into two meals, along with some cat milk in the morning. Then it was a full can split into two meals.

I'd noticed she's been polishing the bowls, and wondered about giving her an extra meal during the day. Just now she ambushed me in the bathroom at 6 am, screeching for attention and trying to suckle from me (she keeps trying to do that). I could only conclude she's hungry so I fed her. That food is bound to be gone in two hours.

So how much is too much? Any thoughts?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, feed kittens as much food as they want and as often as they want. Small frequent meals works for most kittens. Some kittens can eat 4 or more Fancy Feast and other similar sized cans in a day. Do you leave dry food out for snacking on? if not, you may want to but only 1/2 cup or so. When the kitten is closer to a year old, you can stop feeding the dry food.

You may want to feed a kitten food that is available in a 5 oz or larger size. That's more cost effective.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens cannot be overfed! They use a tremendous amount of calories because of their tremendous energy! Feed as much as they want 3-4 times a day, or leave dry out between two or three meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going with you and your baby?
Pretty well. I started giving her some Purina One kitten food between meals. I think she actually likes it better than the Fancy Feast at this point, but overall she seems happy and well fed. Spends her time blowing through the apartment like a tornado, followed by long naps.