Should I get my male1 year old cat neutered ?

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is 1 year old and unneutered but he doesn't spay or anything. Is that normal and should I get him neutered ?

Its my first time keeping a cat , and he is a rescued cat from the streets. He is really calm and sweet but I am very confused about this whole neutering thing. I know what it is and why its done but I don't feel it's ethically right to get them neutered given its a natural thing and all . So I don't want to pull him into all that especially when none of us have faced any problem yet. So am quite confused regarding this thing since many are also suggesting me to get my cat neutered whereas I just don't think its the right thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thanks for giving the kitty a home. His life will be so much better now. :lovecat:

As for spraying, some cats start right around 6 months, while others can take longer to start. It's possible he might never spray, but neutering now is your best chance to prevent it, as once a cat starts spraying, they sometimes continue even after neutering. Another reason to get him neutered is it will stop his yearning to find a girlfriend. And should also lessen any territorial tendencies.
Oh, and also it will take away that stinky tomcat pee smell.

Here's a TCS article with more info on Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats | TheCatSite.

As well as these ones:
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite

If you're still unsure, perhaps talk to your vet to discuss your concerns.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat will never care about whether or not it is neutered, much less understand what even happened. One day, they go to sleep and wake up an hour later. That's just about it.

We recently rescued a cat from outdoors and we got him neutered, first thing. When he was hanging around outside, before we brought him in, he was skittish and had a quick temper. By the end of two weeks, he was well on his way to being a lap cat. He follows us around the house like a dog. Any time a lap appears in his domain, he'll be on it in a half second.

Just because a cat hasn't sprayed doesn't mean it won't spray. It can happen any time the cat senses a female's pheromones. A male cat can smell a female in heat from nearly a mile away. If there is a female outside the house, your cat can smell it so well, there might as not be walls. When a cat smells those female pheromones it will trigger an instinctive behavior to spray. The cat doesn't think about it. He just does it.

Neutering a male cat can make it friendlier because it's hormonal instincts aren't driving it to go looking for females all of the time.

Neutering a male cat makes it stop responding to female sex hormones, causing the instinct to spray to go away.

Don't forget all the unwanted kittens born every year because people don't neuter their cats.

Oh yeah, the lack of hormones in their urine also stops it from smelling so strong. When he first moved in, his pee smelled so bad we had to open windows. Now, six months later, you can hardly smell it at all.

Our cat was just one year old when we neutered him but you can still do it any time. There isn't really any kind of sunset on the time to neuter a cat.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I understand your views on neutering. I don't agree with them, but I do understand.
Un neutered male cats are called Tom Cats.

Regarding the Cat himself.

With all animal species there are strong needs to survive and reproduce. These are the big ones. Tom cats will take reproduction over all else. A Tom cat living in a home will find a way to escape and when they do, they will find every female cat within a five-mile radius and try to breed with them. In order to do that they will be entering other Tom cat territory and will fight the other male cats. When fighting, they are at a very high risk of catching cat viruses such as Feline FIV which is similar to human HIV and not curable. There are other viruses they can catch as well. Not to mention the wounds they receive from the cats they are fighting.

I have a neighbor who refused to neuter his cat and I saw some of the fights this cat got into, and it was brutal. If you see two neutered cats fight, it is usually a bunch of noise and fur flying and one runs off. With the Tom cats if one does manage to escape and run the other cat chases him down and will literally try to kill him. This is the cat fight I saw. I even sprayed the cats with a garden hose and the cat did not give up. This is how strong the desire, need is for Tom cats to reproduce. The drive is stronger than the desire to eat. So, even if after your cat escapes and even if they manage to survive the brutal fighting that happens, they still run the risk of getting hit by a car, attacked by other animals, and cruel people shooting them or doing worse because they are howling late at night calling all the girl cats. If they survive all that, they still will have picked up one of the many viruses that cats get.

To prevent a cat from doing what he has such a strong desire and need to do is not fair for the cat and if you did manage to keep him from escaping somehow, your cat will be unhappy. Neutering will take away that desire and he can be a safe happy indoor cat.

Regarding You

Tom Cats spray. They spray to mark their territory and to let other cats know they are there. Their scent can carry for miles. It is that strong. It is a smell that once it is on something, you cannot remove it. You will smell it forever. I know you mentioned that your cat isn't doing this yet, He will. There isn't a magic age at when they start doing it as cats reach maturity at different times depending on the cat. He will eventually spray. Tom cat urine in general is much stronger smelling than regular cat urine. Your house will smell bad.

Regarding the world.

If your cat is out there getting female cats pregnant, you are adding to a massive overpopulation of cats in the world. You are adding to more feral cats and kittens that nobody wants dying horrible deaths and starving or dying of disease or worse. You can look up how many cats and kittens one Tom cat can create in a year, and it is crazy the amount. It is either in the thousands or tens of thousands. You are causing more cat suffering by not neutering him.

I think it is great that you are giving this cat a home. But please for his sake and the rest of the cats in the worlds sake, have him neutered. Cats don't think like people. He isn't going to long for his dating life he didn't get. He will forget it ever happened in a few hours and will be able to live a happy life. It is a simple surgery that takes literally less than a minute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thanks for giving the kitty a home. His life will be so much better now. :lovecat:

As for spraying, some cats start right around 6 months, while others can take longer to start. It's possible he might never spray, but neutering now is your best chance to prevent it, as once a cat starts spraying, they sometimes continue even after neutering. Another reason to get him neutered is it will stop his yearning to find a girlfriend. And should also lessen any territorial tendencies.
Oh, and also it will take away that stinky tomcat pee smell.

Here's a TCS article with more info on Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats | TheCatSite.

As well as these ones:
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite

If you're still unsure, perhaps talk to your vet to discuss your concerns.
Thanks a lot for all the information . That'll help a lot. 💖

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat will never care about whether or not it is neutered, much less understand what even happened. One day, they go to sleep and wake up an hour later. That's just about it.

We recently rescued a cat from outdoors and we got him neutered, first thing. When he was hanging around outside, before we brought him in, he was skittish and had a quick temper. By the end of two weeks, he was well on his way to being a lap cat. He follows us around the house like a dog. Any time a lap appears in his domain, he'll be on it in a half second.

Just because a cat hasn't sprayed doesn't mean it won't spray. It can happen any time the cat senses a female's pheromones. A male cat can smell a female in heat from nearly a mile away. If there is a female outside the house, your cat can smell it so well, there might as not be walls. When a cat smells those female pheromones it will trigger an instinctive behavior to spray. The cat doesn't think about it. He just does it.

Neutering a male cat can make it friendlier because it's hormonal instincts aren't driving it to go looking for females all of the time.

Neutering a male cat makes it stop responding to female sex hormones, causing the instinct to spray to go away.

Don't forget all the unwanted kittens born every year because people don't neuter their cats.

Oh yeah, the lack of hormones in their urine also stops it from smelling so strong. When he first moved in, his pee smelled so bad we had to open windows. Now, six months later, you can hardly smell it at all.

Our cat was just one year old when we neutered him but you can still do it any time. There isn't really any kind of sunset on the time to neuter a cat.
Thanks a lot for explaining the issue properly. Neutering indeed is the better option.

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I understand your views on neutering. I don't agree with them, but I do understand.
Un neutered male cats are called Tom Cats.

Regarding the Cat himself.

With all animal species there are strong needs to survive and reproduce. These are the big ones. Tom cats will take reproduction over all else. A Tom cat living in a home will find a way to escape and when they do, they will find every female cat within a five-mile radius and try to breed with them. In order to do that they will be entering other Tom cat territory and will fight the other male cats. When fighting, they are at a very high risk of catching cat viruses such as Feline FIV which is similar to human HIV and not curable. There are other viruses they can catch as well. Not to mention the wounds they receive from the cats they are fighting.

I have a neighbor who refused to neuter his cat and I saw some of the fights this cat got into, and it was brutal. If you see two neutered cats fight, it is usually a bunch of noise and fur flying and one runs off. With the Tom cats if one does manage to escape and run the other cat chases him down and will literally try to kill him. This is the cat fight I saw. I even sprayed the cats with a garden hose and the cat did not give up. This is how strong the desire, need is for Tom cats to reproduce. The drive is stronger than the desire to eat. So, even if after your cat escapes and even if they manage to survive the brutal fighting that happens, they still run the risk of getting hit by a car, attacked by other animals, and cruel people shooting them or doing worse because they are howling late at night calling all the girl cats. If they survive all that, they still will have picked up one of the many viruses that cats get.

To prevent a cat from doing what he has such a strong desire and need to do is not fair for the cat and if you did manage to keep him from escaping somehow, your cat will be unhappy. Neutering will take away that desire and he can be a safe happy indoor cat.

Regarding You

Tom Cats spray. They spray to mark their territory and to let other cats know they are there. Their scent can carry for miles. It is that strong. It is a smell that once it is on something, you cannot remove it. You will smell it forever. I know you mentioned that your cat isn't doing this yet, He will. There isn't a magic age at when they start doing it as cats reach maturity at different times depending on the cat. He will eventually spray. Tom cat urine in general is much stronger smelling than regular cat urine. Your house will smell bad.

Regarding the world.

If your cat is out there getting female cats pregnant, you are adding to a massive overpopulation of cats in the world. You are adding to more feral cats and kittens that nobody wants dying horrible deaths and starving or dying of disease or worse. You can look up how many cats and kittens one Tom cat can create in a year, and it is crazy the amount. It is either in the thousands or tens of thousands. You are causing more cat suffering by not neutering him.

I think it is great that you are giving this cat a home. But please for his sake and the rest of the cats in the worlds sake, have him neutered. Cats don't think like people. He isn't going to long for his dating life he didn't get. He will forget it ever happened in a few hours and will be able to live a happy life. It is a simple surgery that takes literally less than a minute.
I didn't think this deeply about the matter and also wasn't aware of half of the things you mentioned. Everything you said is very important to give a thought to and now I am feeling its important to get my cat neutered. Its only the safer option. Thanks a lot for explaining the entire topic with such patience and care. Means a lot 😊❤