Should I free feed kittens if I also have adult cats who can't be trusted around unattended food?

mmdesolate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 adult cats in the house who are overweight due to being free fed when they were younger, and will be introducing 2 kittens soon. I know it's often recommended to free feed kittens until they're close to full size, but my adult cats would just eat all their food. If I didn't free feed the kittens, I would feed them 3 or even 4 times a day and allow them to eat as much as they want during those meals.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can free feed the kittens and keep the adults out if you make a
kitten dining area/room with a door too small for the adults to get through and where you can place the food dish far enough away from the door so the adults won't be able to reach it.

Alternatively, and what we did, though adult cats weren't a problem, was we fed the kittens 6 meals a day the equivalent of a large can (size of can you get baked beans in) each every day. You have to fill the bowls where the kittens can't get to them or one will end up eating most of the food. For this kind of feeding, you need merely to put your adult cats in a room with a good secure door for the meals. As I remember it took the kittens less than 10 minutes to eat each meal before they were 4 months old. As they got older they ate quicker. It really shouldn't bother your adult cats too much.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are going to need a safe room anyway, for awhile, so in the beginning it should be easy to free feed them since they should be completely separated from your current cats. Once they are all integrated, I think it's an excellent idea to continue letting them have access to a safe place, and closing a door almost completely but leaving just enough opening for a kitten to squeeze through sound perfect to me.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten room is an excellent idea. The trick is blocking the door opening. That depends on the width of the adult cats.
We haven't tried to keep the cat out but the door buddy thing works well for dog. Perhaps you could use it and make the opening really small? If you want it smaller than the strap makes, just stick it further over on the door.

Amazon.com : Door Buddy Adjustable Cat Door Latch - Grey 2 Pack. Pet Door Holder to Dog Proof Cat Litter Box & Keep Dog Out of Cat Food. Simpler Than Cat Gate or Interior Cat Door. Adjustable Door Strap for Pets : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmdesolate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are going to need a safe room anyway, for awhile, so in the beginning it should be easy to free feed them since they should be completely separated from your current cats. Once they are all integrated, I think it's an excellent idea to continue letting them have access to a safe place, and closing a door almost completely but leaving just enough opening for a kitten to squeeze through sound perfect to me.
The food fiend knows how to open any door or drawer that isn't literally latched. I also live with people who won't let me cut holes/replace doors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmdesolate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The strap thing looks interesting

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To cat proof cabinets and drawers buy child proof hooks and eyes, if your friends will let you put the small screw holes in the cabinets. These require thumbs to open. If it's not permitted Velcro is your friend.
below is a picture of the hook the eye is the usual one

View attachment 457444

Amazon.com: Safety Hook and Eye Latch, Zinc Wire Gate Hook, 6 Pack [910-248] 2-2", 2-2 1/2", 2-3" - Aldaba con Gancho con Cerrojo para Puerta Ventana : Tools & Home Improvement
We use bungee cords on some cabinet doors. Walmart sells mini bungee cords that work really well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe this door is a door to a room not a cupboard.

Door buddies are also great for little ones once they start crawling towards the stairs.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also get away with feeding them very often. 3-4 times a day should be fine, though more often is even better.
Make sure you do so just before you go to bed and as soon as you wake up, and also before you go to work and as soon as you come back, if you will be away from home. And ideally get older kittens, the younger they are, the harsher it is on their little bodies to go without food for long.

Alternatively, you can get stuff like microchip feeders