should I change of vet?

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this the right put it. But, should I change of vet?
So my kitty has gone to the vet a lot times this year. Due to regular check up and he had diarrhea for almost two months in total.
They were very helpful but one of the medicine they gave me for the diarrhea ( twice) was something with big sides effects. Hopefully he doesn't get sick like that again.
I will also ask them about his weight. If I am feeding him the right amount or not ( he used to have heavy breaths after playing for a while)
How he had those moments where he looks like he is choking or trying to throw a hairball (but nothing came out)
But never got a clear answer about it .
Will be good reasons to change of vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I might need to use the laptop for searching. It is not working well on my phone

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You mentioned your cat had heavy breathing after playing, and coughing like a hair ball was coming out, but no hair ball. Is the heavy breathing panting like a dog or just breathing heavy? My cat would pant like a dog when playing and had episodes of coughing but no hair ball. It turned out he had asthma. The coughing is different than a hair ball, they stick their neck out low to the ground and it almost sounds like a bark. If you notice these signs, it’s something to look into, since it sounds like you are planning a vet visit anyway.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may also consider heart bloodwork, as it can be a sign of congenital heart abnormalities.

They can outgrow this. I had to go to a cat-only vet to get this diagnosed for Magnus.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Any reason is a good reason to change vets if you feel as if you should. I sense that you might be hesitant, possibly feeling as if they are good vets and you owe them loyalty despite your concerns with some issues they have not addressed. People change human doctors and vets, and other medical practitioners all the time.

All medical records that the current vet has for your cat are your property and have to be given to you to transferred to the new vet in a timely manner.

Getting a second opinion, if that is what this is, does not necessarily end the relationship you have with the current practice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may not need a new vet. Are you being proactive in your cat's care and asking the vet questions and getting the answers you need? If not, that's a good place to start. Sometimes you need to prod the vet a little firmly to get the answers you need. If something isn't clear to you, ask the vet to re-explain in layman terms so you understand. Not every pet owner is well versed in all the veterinary terminology and lingo.

Your vet has the ability to consult with other vets if he / she has no idea what is wrong with your cat. You have to ask the vet to do so and be sure to follow up to know what was discussed and next steps in your cat's care.

You can always get a second opinion. If you end up liking that vet better and feel that is is someone who will clearly and patiently explain things to all your questions and concerns, feel free to switch your cat over. A good relationship with the vet is a must.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kass2y5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally took him to the vet !!! To the same place since all the two places my brother call didn't accept new patients.
They took some x-ray (very expensive) and the doctor told me is allergies. He isn't sure what he is allergic too. But he was prescribed "Prednisolone" to start a two week treatment.
Hopefully it would go away.
Besides that, everything is okay. His weight is okay. He gained less than pound after his last visit. His temperature is a little high (103) but the doctor said it was okay.
4c9882c7-7ce3-4fe4-a713-3f80fac989c4photo.jpeg
9bb8eeca-e736-4c5d-8933-52643a458f3cphoto.jpeg
IMG_20221107_092254746_BURST000_COVER.jpg