Should I bring this cat with me when I move?

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This is my second post (first one is here Looking for some advice on stray cat socialization) about the same stray cat in my neighborhood. Pretty much a stray cat has been coming around my apartment complex and I have been feeding him since mid July. Since I posted the first time, he has completely stopped scratching my hands and has become totally comfortable with me petting him. He will rub against my legs, roll around and purr, and play with me with cat toys. He will even grab my hand and lick the fingers sometimes. He comes around at for at least an hour every day, sometimes more. He also has an ear tip and has been through the TNR process but seems very young - I think about 9 months.

We are planning to move (about 15 minutes away) as early as mid-September and I am seriously considering bringing him with us, but I'm concerned about if that would be best for him. I've seen him outside and he looks really happy hanging out in the courtyard and I suspect other people may feed him as well - though I did post on Nextdoor about it and no one replied saying he was theirs or they were feeding him. I also see him hanging out with other more feral cats and I think he is part of a colony. I think that if we left him, he would survive... but I would be very concerned about his well being once it gets colder. The other thing is that I have opened the door for him recently and he has come inside for food or to explore and then wanted to go straight back out. He's much more comfortable playing under the screen door than coming inside himself. My boyfriend thinks it means he doesn't want to stick around and would rather be outside but I'm just not sure.

My plan if we did take him would be to put some food in a cat carrier and trap him a couple days before the move. We could set him up in the empty office space with some food & water, litterbox, blankets and hides. That room would be largely unused unless we're working and would serve as a great place to socialize. We also would have a yard that I would consider letting him out after 4-6 weeks so he could still enjoy being out there.

Any advice would be appreciated! I go back and forth every day over whether to take him or not. The last thing I would want to do it bring him with us and cause him to be depressed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To me, if there were a scale of taking him/not taking him, he is tipping to the take him side. He will have to adjust to his new home, but I have found that often with this type of cat the suspicion that others feed may only end up being random feeding with no feelings of responsibility for his next meal. I am in a similar situation with a feral, true feral at this point, at a nearby apartment complex. Cat has been TNRed by someone and I go and feed twice a day. People in the apartment do feed, but I have determined it is quite irregular and that I am the cat's true source of food and water. No one responding on Nextdoor is not a great sign that anyone cares about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom I agree, I'm not sure how much the others that feed him care for him. I've never seen him actually interact with anyone besides me but he also is gone for a large part of the day. He pretty much visits us early in the morning and in the evening.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No doubt that is his routine and like any outdoor cat he goes someplace during the day and possibly just hangs out until he returns for his next meal. I have three ferals on my property who were TNRed by me, and they all follow that daily pattern. I do not assume that during the day anyone else is providing a meal for them on a regular basis and if I moved I would have to take them, along with the previously mentioned cat at the apartment building.

To me, it sounds as if he has decided that you are his friend and source of well being. Not all TNRed cats are feral depending on how the local groups do their roundups and many friendly strays and even unfixed pets are often brought in.

He will certainly go through a process of becoming an indoor pet but he sounds to me as if he is definitely capable of making that adjust ment.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone..I would take him. I think I read your first post but I don’t remember if you mentioned how old you think he is. You mentioned having a yard at your new house and would let him out after several weeks.
if it was me if after being inside for those weeks if he seems fine I would keep him as a strictly “indoor” cat. They are much safer, live longer and don’t bring in fleas, ticks. 😄

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My plan if we did take him would be to put some food in a cat carrier and trap him a couple days before the move. We could set him up in the empty office space with some food & water, litterbox, blankets and hides. That room would be largely unused unless we're working and would serve as a great place to socialize. We also would have a yard that I would consider letting him out after 4-6 weeks so he could still enjoy being out there.
Yes please, take him along with you. Since he's gotten used you and have placed his trust in you, it'll good that you bring him long. If you don't after all the getting use to you, he may not trust another hooman again.

Once you have him in your new place, create a safe room for him and let him be in there as long as he wants, provided the room is not in urgent use. Once in the new home, keep him in and don't let him out outdoors again as you may never see him again because the place is new and probably he'll roam elsewhere and could find his way back from where he came from and all your hard work will result to nothing.

Yes him indoors to be safe and you mentioned that you have a yard, build catio for him so that he can be outdoors but safe and can come indoors too. Before you move, place a number of towels or blankets in the cage to soak up his scents and bring those towels or blankets to the new house one day before the move and place it in the room where you want him to be as this will calm him down further as it has his familiar scents rather than move into a room with smell of new paint or furniture.

Do not betray his trust as you are the only one he trust.

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with everyone..I would take him. I think I read your first post but I don’t remember if you mentioned how old you think he is. You mentioned having a yard at your new house and would let him out after several weeks.
if it was me if after being inside for those weeks if he seems fine I would keep him as a strictly “indoor” cat. They are much safer, live longer and don’t bring in fleas, ticks. 😄
Babypaws Babypaws Yeah I think he is under a year old, he seems to have gotten a little bigger since I started feeding him. My biggest concern is if he would be okay with the adjustment to be indoors but it seems like it works out for a lot of cats.

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, bring him, or you'll worry about him forever. Even if he's mad at first about staying inside, he'll be happier in the long run.
Yes very true!! It would be very sad to have to say goodbye and not know what would happen to him

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes please, take him along with you. Since he's gotten used you and have placed his trust in you, it'll good that you bring him long. If you don't after all the getting use to you, he may not trust another hooman again.

Once you have him in your new place, create a safe room for him and let him be in there as long as he wants, provided the room is not in urgent use. Once in the new home, keep him in and don't let him out outdoors again as you may never see him again because the place is new and probably he'll roam elsewhere and could find his way back from where he came from and all your hard work will result to nothing.

Yes him indoors to be safe and you mentioned that you have a yard, build catio for him so that he can be outdoors but safe and can come indoors too. Before you move, place a number of towels or blankets in the cage to soak up his scents and bring those towels or blankets to the new house one day before the move and place it in the room where you want him to be as this will calm him down further as it has his familiar scents rather than move into a room with smell of new paint or furniture.

Do not betray his trust as you are the only one he trust.
Thanks! Yeah he definitely does trust me and I feel bad for the little guy out there. My biggest concern is if he would like to be inside. It seems like most cats warm up to it right?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would absolutely suggest taking him with you. He has become very comfortable around you and the fact that he's willing to go inside your home at all is a very good sign. Putting him up in a room just for him will work well, it will let him get used to being inside and you can still interact with and continue socializing him. It may take him a while to get used to a new environment, but unless he continually freaks out on being inside and never calms down he'll eventually adjust and probably be happier for it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah he definitely does trust me and I feel bad for the little guy out there. My biggest concern is if he would like to be inside. It seems like most cats warm up to it right?
If the trust between you and him is not broken, he'll stick to you and after being inside for a few days feeling loved and knowing there's no threat, with all the calming scents around, he'll be glad to be indoors.

Many members here have brought outdoor cats including feral ones indoors and they made indoors their home.

Keep the room quiet and visit him often and lay next to him and talk to him softly and lovingly as all these help calm him down faster. Slowly let him explore the room by himself and later the whole house. Just don't rush him.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kmae111 and welcome (belatedly) to the forum !

My biggest concern is if he would be okay with the adjustment to be indoors but it seems like it works out for a lot of cats.

If you have a little spare time take a peek in here............where dozens of cats have come indoors and have no desire to leave. Almost all abandoned cats can adjust and become 'social'.

You've brought him so far in such a short time, I'm confident it will work. There's lots of coaching here for you along the jorney, too. If you're not sure about something, post here first. We'll help you get it right.

You know................you could always............take a sneak pic of him, too! We never refuse those :lol:

kmae111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kmae111 and welcome (belatedly) to the forum !

If you have a little spare time take a peek in here............where dozens of cats have come indoors and have no desire to leave. Almost all abandoned cats can adjust and become 'social'.

You've brought him so far in such a short time, I'm confident it will work. There's lots of coaching here for you along the jorney, too. If you're not sure about something, post here first. We'll help you get it right.

You know................you could always............take a sneak pic of him, too! We never refuse those :lol:
Wow this is a great link, thank you! Everyone's comments have really given me confidence that he will be okay in the long run if we take him in. I really appreciate all the advice :)

Here is a video I took of him last week!