Should I Be Concerned About This Litter Box Behavior? *gross Poo Talk*

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I caught my two kittens Yara and Teddy using the same litter box at the same time. I wasn't in the room at the time, so I'm not sure who was using it first, though normally when Teddy is using it, Yara will always try to disturb her. I have to restrain Yara so Teddy can pee in peace. I think thats why Teddy only poos when I'm home. I also noticed that Teddy never bothers to cover her pee/poo and Yara will cover it for her.

I live in a one bedroom apartment, with 3 litter boxes. One is in my bedroom, though it isn't used much and only for pee. I have two in the living room.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing
Today was so weird. Teddy peed in litter box 1 with Yara pooing next to her. The both got out, Yara cover both their messes, played a little, then Teddy went to poo in litter box 2. I could see Yara was trying to get in so I grabbed Yara to let Teddy finish her business. Right afterwards Yara peed in litter box 2 and covered both their messes again.

I'm not sure if I need to be concerned about this type of behavior or what I should do to stop it. I tried covered litter boxes but Teddy didn't like it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's normal behavior for kittens and something they'll most probably outgrow, though Yara might continue to clean up after Teddy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who are confident and feel secure don't cover their spoor, it is instinctive and done to cover up the scent to keep it from predators. Yara covers both because her instinct to do so is still strong enough for her to cover all scent. Females do so more than males too, because they have kittens in their instinctive brain (even that young) and will protect them at all costs, that is why they stimulate the newborns to go and get rid of any scent. Males want the world to know, and other cats, that this is THEIR territory and are warning others they are there and to stay away. That is why they learn to spray when they are older. It's more scented if it is up off the ground. All your kittens are doing is perfectly normal, Teddy may never cover his leavings, not when he has Yara there to do it for him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow this is really interesting, never knew that. I rescued Yara from a cat colony at 6 weeks old. Her cat momma lost interest in taking care of her so it would make sense that Yara's survival instincts are so strong. I was worried she would have some behavioural problems because she didn't get a chance to learn how to speak cat.

I got Teddy from a breeder friend and having been raised by a 'normal' cat family she's more well mannered. I always thought it would be up to Teddy to teach Yara how to be a proper cat. It all makes sense now..