Should I be concerned a lot about my cat's frequent urination and pooping?

cloa513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 13 year old Norwegian Cat. It is cold about 0 C in the morning and 7 to 15 C in daytime and we don't have air-conditioning heating however he likes the above ground sleeping spots and a kotatsu. He is eating a lot 25 grams per day plus 5 grams more at times with pumpkin added. He used to be one poop a day but now it is 3 or 4 times and doing it again in a few minutes. His poop and pee is very standard and neat. Is it an urgent problem?

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im perplexed. His appetite is high so that's good. But if poo 3 or 4 times i dont know. Maybe it's becus of the increased food. Don't know. Better just ask your vet and show them the SEVERAL photos of poo and urine amount.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are adding fiber (pumpkin) to the food, that can certainly cause more poop. I recently was advised to feed high fiber food to one of mine because of a bad bacteria in his intestines, and boy did that ever increase the poop! I was very surprised. Both cats are eating this new food, and poop has increased immensely.

I imagine he is eating more in order to keep warm if you don't have any heat source and it's cold there. And eating more can also cause more urination. If he's eating wet food, then that wold definitely cause more urination, and if he's eating dry food, then I would imagine the more he eats, the thirstier that would make him, thus more output.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is probably nothing to worry about, and I agree with the above comments. But given his age, he should have at least once a year vet check ups at which point in time you can ask the vet about doing a thyroid test in addition to standard blood work. This would be especially needed, if you start to see him losing any weight, as eating more and losing weight are the two primary symptoms of hyperthyroidism.