Should I Be Around For Birth Of Kittens?

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I adopted a stray (who I found out was pregnant when I took her to get her vaccines) and she is due any day now! I’m nervous (but also very excited!). My question is, if I notice she’s in the beginning stages of labor should I play hokey from work to stay with her? I want to make sure the delivery goes smoothly for both her, and the kittens, but I also know cats have been giving birth for thousands of years completely unassisted! Thanks so much in advance for any advice you all can give me! :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be good if you could. If nothing else, it would give you peace of mind.

I would stay until all the kittens are delivered sand latched on and feeding properly. If she is less than a year old, this is her first litter, and she or her kittens may need some help.

I'm sure other TCS members will help and give links to much useful information. Keep us posted!

Plus buy some powdered Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) and give her a couple of ounces per day. It will provide her with the additional fat, protein, and minerals she will need to produce milk for the kittens. Plus feed her kitten wet food & kibble. For the same reason. If she were on her own, she is probably malnourished, and her body may be trying to compensate for that.

Again, please keep us posted!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dollars to donuts, she will have them in the middle of the night. Get a box and put some old towels or soft cloths in it for a nest. If she knows about it, she will head for it when she's in labor. There are several articles on this site about how to help birthing cats, and it might be a good idea to read them.

You don't absolutely have to be there when the kittens are born, but she would probably appreciate it. Some mom cats even seek out their owners when they are in labor and won't let them leave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be good if you could. If nothing else, it would give you peace of mind.

I would stay until all the kittens are delivered sand latched on and feeding properly. If she is less than a year old, this is her first litter, and she or her kittens may need some help.

I'm sure other TCS members will help and give links to much useful information. Keep us posted!

Plus buy some powdered Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) and give her a couple of ounces per day. It will provide her with the additional fat, protein, and minerals she will need to produce milk for the kittens. Plus feed her kitten wet food & kibble. For the same reason. If she were on her own, she is probably malnourished, and her body may be trying to compensate for that.

Again, please keep us posted!

Thanks for the advice! It would definitely give me peace of mind for sure to be there! The KMR is a good idea! Should I keep giving her some once she’s had them/is nursing as well?

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dollars to donuts, she will have them in the middle of the night. Get a box and put some old towels or soft cloths in it for a nest. If she knows about it, she will head for it when she's in labor. There are several articles on this site about how to help birthing cats, and it might be a good idea to read them.

You don't absolutely have to be there when the kittens are born, but she would probably appreciate it. Some mom cats even seek out their owners when they are in labor and won't let them leave.
You are so right! That’s what everyone has said I’ve made her a nice nesting area but I don’t think she likes it very much. I don’t have a ton of spaces for her to have the kittens and have other animals so the space definitely needs to be secluded. She’s been trying to go under my couches but I’ve blocked them off as they aren’t the best spots to deliver kittens. Will this delay/stall her labor? I don’t want her to be uncomfortable but I also want to make sure she has the kittens in a safe space, without being interrupted by my other pets.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it won't delay labor. If you can, you could put the nest under the bed, or lacking that, cover it with a blanket or towel. Or put it in a closet. (I know of one cat who had her kittens in the linen closet!) Other members here have also recommended making several nests, and letting her choose. If she doesn't go to one for the birthing, you can move her and the kittens later. Let her be comfortable wherever she goes.

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it won't delay labor. If you can, you could put the nest under the bed, or lacking that, cover it with a blanket or towel. Or put it in a closet. (I know of one cat who had her kittens in the linen closet!) Other members here have also recommended making several nests, and letting her choose. If she doesn't go to one for the birthing, you can move her and the kittens later. Let her be comfortable wherever she goes.
Her current set-up (which I lovingly call “the birthing suite” is actually a closet underneath our stairs. It’s big enough to fit the nesting area, food/water, and her litter box. I think she finally likes it though! I’ve attached a photo of her all the way in the back :) Once she gives birth, would it be okay to move the kittens and her to the little bed I have in here? I just feel like that would be more comfortable than the floor, lol.

Attachments

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s starting to push! How long does it usually take for the first kitten to be born once they start pushing? Right now she’s pushing every few mins.

Caroline0993

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First kitten has still not been born. Around 7pm her water broke and then labor completely stopped. Call the vet and they said they aren’t concerned now, but if labor doesn’t resume in a few hours then I’ll need to bring her in. She’s not in distress or anything (although I am!).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would play hookey, even if she does have them in the middle of the night to be able to stick around for a day or two to make sure everyone is gaining weight and Mother cat isn't in distress (stuck kitten, retained placenta, hey it happens!)
Please remember that we set up the best places for them to deliver but sometimes they have other ideas and pick really odd spots (closets, bathrooms, etc.) They should be encouraged to use a suitable box but if they won't, don't argue with them on this.
If this is her first litter, she might be a little scattered and she might need your help bottle feeding or encouraging her to stay in the nest to keep the kittens warm. Sometimes first time cat mom's aren't 100% sure what to do and need your help.
I'm hoping this won't be the case, but it can happen, and it's rewarding as heck no matter what :cloud9:
Congratulations, and enjoy the experience :wave3: