Should I adopt her or just foster? And other questions.

Dustin2226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken in a semi-feral cat that is about 2 years old. I am just fostering her. I have only had her for a week so she only comes out at night in the room I have set up for her - hiding spots, litter box, food & water, classical music. I have tried to interact with her by giving her food with a negative response so have stopped feeding. When I feed her, should I sit in the room and wait for her to come out and eat? I have gotten some positive curiosity that I can see in her eyes though.
A little background on her - the shelter said she had been there for over a year, and before that was being fostered (and abused) because of COVID they could not do home visits. She was found in a kennel outside. I had to take her home. I refuse to let her life be wasted, but would she be better off in a barn program?
I am realizing more and more how long term of a project like this is. I feel like I won’t have enough time with her and will have to adopt her. Does anyone have advice for me and my situation in particular? I am planning on letting her explore at the 2 week mark, but right now just finding our flow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dustin2226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken in a semi-feral cat that is about 2 years old. I am just fostering her. I have only had her for a week so she only comes out at night in the room I have set up for her - hiding spots, litter box, food & water, classical music. I have tried to interact with her by giving her food with a negative response so have stopped feeding. When I feed her, should I sit in the room and wait for her to come out and eat? I have gotten some positive curiosity that I can see in her eyes though.
A little background on her - the shelter said she had been there for over a year, and before that was being fostered (and abused) because of COVID they could not do home visits. She was found in a kennel outside. I had to take her home. I refuse to let her life be wasted, but would she be better off in a barn program?
I am realizing more and more how long term of a project like this is. I feel like I won’t have enough time with her and will have to adopt her. Does anyone have advice for me and my situation in particular? I am planning on letting her explore at the 2 week mark, but right now just finding our flow.
I forgot to add some details about me, I love in a small condo and am single. Have no other pets. I like a quiet environment so I’m not sure that’s great for socialization.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, a quiet environment is exactly what a nervous, semi-feral cat needs. It could take a very long time for her to warm up to you. Hopefully she will. And even if/when she does, she may never want to be around other people. It's hard to predict. You don't need to make a decision right now, do you? I would think she could become a barn cat later, if you decide it's not working out.

You should spend as much time with her as you can: read, listen to music, watch TV, etc. Eventually, she'll probably relax and get used to your presence. It may be a 2 steps forward, 1 back, process. You might try using a Feliway diffuser. It can be helpful for some anxious cats, though not all.

Most cats that have been feral are very focused on food, so once she's okay with you being in the room while she eats, you could try sitting an inch closer each time you feed her. (I have an outdoor former stray-feral, who will only let my husband pet him while he's eating, and he's been with us for about 3 years!) Does she like treats? If so, those can be useful. If she shows any interest in toys, you could try tying something small and dangly to the end of a long wire wand and hold it out to her.

It was good of you to rescue this kitty. I hope things work out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this kitty. Believe me, she is enjoying your quiet condo as well, which is why you are already sensing interest.
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

All of my cats are former ferals of one kind or another. Socialization can take a while, but sometimes you get a big surprise and they realize how much better off and safer they are in your company and start to seek attention. We have a lot of members who have had that experience.

I personally don't have experience with barn cat programs, but i don't think that you should jump to that right now.